I've previously used PCCARD wireless adapters in my laptops (linksys / demarctech). I recently got an IBM Thinkpad T41p which has the IBM a/b/g wireless builtin (Atheros chipset), and I am quite impressed how good it works compared to my experience with base PCCARDs.

I used to work on my laptop down at the cafe, same side of the street as my apartment (which is on the 5th floor), AP in window, I would get a crappy connection to the point it was unusable. Putting a antenna on my fire escape resolved that for the most part. Now with the Thinkpad, when i go down to the cafe I picked up both an AP which is inside my apartment no where near the window facing the street, as well as the AP I have near my window (no cantenna). I was definitely surprised on that one. I *think* the IBM has two antenna's going along side the LCD (can anyone confirm/deny this?).

So for me so far, builtin wireless is working much better then PCCARD adapter wireless has for me in the past (base PCCARD, no ext ant).

Louis