[Image]

  lippis.com | back issues | advertising | contact us

   [Image] From the Publisher:

   The Enterprise Networks 2004 conference www.en2004.com is taking place from
   April 26th to the 28th at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel. We are very fortunate
   to have Don Peterson, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Avaya deliver the
   Monday morning April 26th keynote on "Going Mainstream With IP Telephony". I
   hooked up with Don to get his take on the direction of the enterprise
   communications industry. We talked about the shifts and changes that are
   occurring in technology, industry structure, and communication applications
   as the enterprise market migrates to IP communications. I also got his views
   on the future of our industry and how he, with his executive team, is
   structuring Avaya for that future. We also talked about how Avaya competes
   against Cisco. It's a fascinating interview. Enjoy.

   [Image]

   Nick Lippis: The days of procuring enterprise voice systems via large
   capital expenditures seem to be over as IP Telephony features are
   increasingly bundled within computing, operating systems, Ethernet switches
   and routers. In short, the procurement of an enterprise voice system is
   shifting toward a software and service business. First, do you agree with
   that assertion and if so then how are you organizing Avaya to participate in
   this market?

      Don Peterson: Value is certainly shifting to the software layer. We
      recognized this early and translated it into a number of initiatives. The
      first was the creation of Avaya Global Services, an organization
      dedicated to providing comprehensive multi-vendor communications services
      to small, medium and large enterprises. The second was investment in open
      standards-based software, culminating in the Avaya MultiVantage suite of
      communications applications, which comprises a significant portion of the
      value we deliver to our customers. It is important to note that we will
      continue to pay attention to converged infrastructure, like media servers
      and gateways, as well as communication appliances. These are important
      solution components, given the mission critical nature of the
      applications we deliver and our commitment to quality and availability.

   Nick Lippis: With Avaya enjoying the leading share of the voicemail market,
   thanks to your Octel products, how will you hold onto that share as
   voicemail becomes an application running on standard hardware platforms?

      Don Peterson: As with the rest of our portfolio, we have transformed our
      messaging offerings to meet customer needs and embraced open standards.
      Key to retaining and growing share is commitment to ease of migration and
      innovation. We're now shipping the Avaya Modular Messaging System, a
      software product that operates on industry-standard hardware platforms.
      It integrates easily into customers' infrastructure and interoperates
      with all of our current Octel and Intuity AUDIX Messaging systems, so
      customers can add capacity or migrate at their own pace, protecting their
      investments. Customers also value the new desktop capabilities such as
      Web, Microsoft Outlook and/or IBM Lotus Notes access to messages. For
      mobile personnel, we have a new speech-command interface to messaging and
      calling. We believe many of our customers will choose to update and
      refresh their messaging systems and networks over the next few years; we
      will be there to support them.

   Nick Lippis: What is Avaya's primary value proposition when it competes
   against Cisco?

      Don Peterson: The ability to migrate customers to IP telephony at a path
      and pace of their choosing is a major differentiator. Our migration
      approach enables customers to leverage their existing investments, on
      average retaining up to 85% of their existing network investment. At its
      most basic, they don't have to rip out and replace what they have. We can
      IP-enable their existing PBX or provide client server architecture - the
      important factor here is choice. A key aspect of our value proposition is
      the global multi-vendor services capability provided by Avaya Global
      Services. Anywhere in the world, customers have a single point of
      accountability to design, build, manage and maintain their IP
      communications network, irrespective of whose label is on their
      equipment. Last but by no means least is our strength in software
      applications. Our MultiVantage IP telephony software is industry
      standards-based and runs on multiple platforms. With 700-plus feature
      applications, we offer applications to suit unique business needs.

      Solutions - the combination of applications, systems and services -
      rather than infrastructure is the key to unlocking business value and
      competitive advantage.

   Nick Lippis:  What is your view of how enterprises will connect Avaya
   solutions between sites with service providers such as AT&T, MCI, Quest and
   many others offering VoIP services?

      Don Peterson: Service Providers (SPs) are offering enterprises an array
      of VoIP options with ever more sophisticated IP pipes becoming available.
      Technologically we will support these options, particularly if they prove
      cost-effective, simple to manage and provide appropriate QoS to meet
      customer needs. I see a role for our consultants to simplify the issues,
      helping customers to make informed decisions that best meet the needs of
      their business. Our SP division is working closely with SPs to create
      IP-based applications that are hosted in their network, residing in the
      SP's 'cloud'. By leveraging SP's IP networks and service offerings,
      enterprise customers can enjoy feature/functionality at both HQ and
      branch offices in a fully hosted solution, or interconnect existing
      on-premise equipment via the SP's network in a managed service across
      multiple locations. Put simply, we are committed to serving customers any
      way they want to buy. We offer a range of hosted and managed options to
      enable customers to leverage the benefits of IP telephony together with
      SPs as their partners.

   Nick Lippis: With so many different parts of the communications equipment,
   service providers, and IT industry shifting toward IP Telephony and VoIP,
   what is your vision of corporate networking over the next three to five
   years?

      Don Peterson: Technologies, vendor sectors and markets will continue to
      merge and blur, both in the applications, i.e., voice, data and video,
      and infrastructure space -- public networks, private networks, wireline
      and wireless, in-building and out-of-building. Successful enterprises
      will integrate communications applications into the fabric of their
      business processes. Communications applications based on
      industry-standard software make it possible to modularize communications
      "services" into building blocks. This trend will continue apace, but with
      the major addition of 'presence-based' functions like 'create a
      conference' or 'find the user' woven into them. Of crucial importance to
      presence-aware networks is development of rules and policies, governing
      how the enterprise, and we as individuals, will communicate. It's worth
      repeating that the power of the network and how it will be used will be
      determined not by vendors, but by users. They will look to solution
      partners, those with the know-how and services capability to help them
      through the changing environment, and partner with them to make it work.
      For all of these reasons, Avaya has embraced open standards and
      interoperability -- from TDM to IP, Linux to Lotus, Sun to Microsoft --
      and end-to-end services, from consulting to maintenance. It's going to be
      a very exciting stage of communications history. I'm looking forward to
      it.

   Nick Lippis: What are the big growth engines for Avaya over the next three
   to five years?

      Don Peterson: The transition to IP telephony is a major growth engine.
      Just how big will be determined by the speed of adoption. Currently there
      are about 400 million lines of business telephony installed worldwide of
      which a little over 4% are IP lines. Conservative estimates indicate
      that, by 2007, the number of business lines will grow to 440 million with
      IP accounting for about 27%. No matter whose figures you read, this is a
      big opportunity. We also envisage significant demand for communications
      applications, such as contact center, unified messaging, wireless, and
      eventually, presence/SIP-based applications. Adoption and integration of
      these new technologies will drive demand for services, in particular
      professional consulting services, systems integration, maintenance,
      outsourcing and SP hosted solutions.

      Geographically, we foresee significant growth opportunity outside the US.
      Our move to expand ownership of Tata Telecom, in India, underscores our
      confidence in growth opportunities overseas and the importance of SP and
      technology partners as key distribution channels.

   Nick Lippis: What industry triggers, events or products will shift the basis
   of IPT procurement from an economic efficiency solution toward a way to
   increase corporate earnings and productivity?

      Don Peterson: Most companies realize they can't save themselves to
      success; they have one foot on the cost pedal with the other on the
      growth accelerator. IP telephony serves both masters with the potential
      to reduce costs and grow revenue through optimizing performance and
      creating new business models. For example, a major telecom provider in
      Asia used our IP solutions to reduce expense and improve customer
      service. The enhanced capability enabled it to launch revenue generating
      outsourcing services for its enterprise customers. Significant technology
      triggers are likely to be the linkage of communications applications with
      web services platforms; increases in bandwidth for communications-enabled
      devices, both wired and wireless; and the proliferation of open
      standards. These will fuel communication and business application
      integration to levels unimaginable a few years ago.

      While there will also be triggers relevant to vertical sectors and
      compliance issues, I believe the main catalyst for growth will be
      sustained economic recovery and job creation.

   Nick Lippis: It's pretty clear that the adoption of IP Telephony will not
   stop; the only question is what its pace of adoption is. With that said,
   what is the next step or evolution in IP Telephony?

      Don Peterson: To date, the majority of adopters have been driven by the
      opportunity to reduce overall expense, through toll avoidance and
      simplified administration. The next phase of evolution will be
      characterized by applications that drive revenue growth and competitive
      advantage. 'Presence-aware networks and applications' are set to have a
      profound impact. The technology will support unprecedented mobility,
      intelligence, and distribution of the enterprise. It will address top
      line growth needs, helping forge consistent, seamless customer
      experiences; intelligent, precise, customer interactions; increased
      effectiveness of mobile workers; and more productive internal
      collaboration. While vertical sectors may have different killer
      applications, they will all benefit in this new phase. There are exciting
      times ahead.

                                      [Image]

   I look forward to personally meeting Lippis Report readers at the Boston Park
   Plaza Hotel on April 26th through the 28th at the Enterprise Networks 2004
   Conference www.en2004.com (use priority code EMDAILY to register) as we
   explore the smart ways to build out enterprise networks and save our
   companies money at the same time.

   Your comments are always welcome. Send them to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Nick
   [Image]

   The Lippis Report is written by Nick Lippis, a world-renowned authority on
   corporate computer networking and consultant to CxOs of Global 2000
   companies.

   Special thanks to Barbara Thomsen [EMAIL PROTECTED] for copy
   editing this Lippis Report.

   Please feel free to forward The Lippis Report to your peers. If you received
   The Lippis Report by it being forwarding to you, you are welcome to a free
   subscription at the www.lippis.com site. To be removed from this list please
   reply with "remove" in the subject field.

   Reporters are free to quote The Lippis Report with acknowledgement.

                                      [Image]

   [Image]past issues

   Special Announcements:

   Announcing the Enterprise Networks 2004 Design Excellence Awards

   Brought to you by Network Magazine, the Enterprise Networks Design Excellence
   Awards (ENDEA) acknowledge and honor network architects who have designed a
   new or updated network infrastructure, leveraging the latest technological
   advancements in the networking industry. Network architecture submissions
   from across all industries are considered, and will be judged based on the
   following criteria:

      * Ability to support new business processes and/or applications
      * Use of new technologies, such as IP telephony, utility computing and
        Wi-Fi
      * Architectures that take a holistic approach to network security
      * Infrastructure designs that intrinsically support strategic and
        operational business goals efficiently
      * Dramatically improves IT responsiveness and/or cost of ownership as a
        direct result of the new network design

   Network architects will be recognized with awards in each of the following
   three categories:

      * Medium Sized Enterprise (under 2,000 employees)
      * Large Enterprise (2,000+ employees)
      * Overall Excellence In Design

   All winners will be invited to attend The Enterprise Networks 2004
   Conference, where CMP Media and Network Magazine will present awards and
   invite each lead architect or appropriate network design team lead to speak
   on a conference panel discussion moderated by Art Wittmann, Editor-in-Chief
   of Network Magazine. Enterprise Network Design Excellence Panel will be held
   on Wednesday, April 28 from 1:15 to 2:45 PM. Enterprise Networks 2004 will
   provide all winners with free admission to the Conference. CMP Media and
   Network Magazine will provide all winners with travel and lodging.

   Enterprise Networks 2004 Conference; April 26 - 28, 2004; Boston Park Plaza
   Hotel; Boston, MA

   [Image]

   Enterprise Networks 2004 is the ultimate educational experience for anyone
   responsible for architecting, designing and managing enterprise networks.
   Comprised of six online forums and a three-day conference, the content has
   been developed by Nick Lippis and a team of enterprise network designers for
   enterprise network designers. Enterprise Networks 2004 is presented in
   association with Network Magazine.

   Enterprise Networks 2004 Schedule

   Date          Media         Content
   Available On  Online Forum  Strategies For Deploying Integrated Network
   Demand Now                  Security
   Available On  Online Forum  IP Telephony Economics: Does It Add Up To
   Demand Now                  Savings and Productivity?
   Available On  Online Forum  Integrating Wi-Fi Into An Enterprise
   Demand Now                  Framework
   Available On  Online Forum  Presence-Based Communications: What It Is and
   Demand Now                  Why It Will Transform Unified Communication
   April 26 - 28,Conference    Enterprise Networks 2004 Conference; Boston
   2004                        Park Plaza Hotel; Boston, MA
   May 25, 2004  Online Forum  Distributed Intelligent Networking: A New
                               Enterprise Network Framework Emerges
   June 17, 2004 Online Forum  IP Telephony Tools: Where Are They?

   For more information and to register, please visit www.en2004.com.

   Enterprise Networks 2004 Sponsors:

        3Com

        Airmagnet

        Artisoft

        Aruba Wireless Networks

        Avaya Inc.

        Bearing Point

        Bluecoat Systems

        Bluesocket Inc.

        Chantry Networks

        CMP Media

        Colubris Networks

        Crossbeam Systems

        Entua

        Extreme Networks

        Foundry Networks

        Funk Software

        Hewlett-Packard Co.

        IAMP

        INS

        Legra Systems

        Mitel

        Multitech

        Netfusion Inc

        Netscout Systems, Inc.

        Network Magazine

        Nortel Networks

        Orative

        PCR

        Procket

        Propagate Networks

        RAD Data Communications

        Reefedge Networks

        Sphere Communications

                                             [Image]
                 Lippis Media LLC 110 Shawmut Rd, Canton, MA 02021