Rudy,

If you are worried about safety and updates why not use Fedora Core 1 or 2? They have current updates.

If you want to use RH8 you can use the updates from redhat until they stopped updating it (updates.redhat.com or a mirror), also check out http://www.fedoralegacy.org for updates past the end of life.

For a laptop you generally care most about any remote exploits, you want to shutoff any services you are using, make sure no ports are listening, make sure you firewall is running and denies all remote access unless explicity allowed. You don't need to worry to much about the updates if they are for local security issues.

Also, regarding safe to surf the net wirelessly, you want to at least be using WEP encryption to make it harder for your neighbors to watch you.

Louis

Rudy Milanes wrote:
Hi, I'm kind of a beginner in the wireless world -but
at least I'm able to connect wirelessly- I have RH8
with no updates because Red Hat no longer supports it.
 So I was wondering if it was safe to use RH8 to suft
the net.  I currently use a SMC wireless card to
connect to a linksys router.  I downloaded the driver
for RH8 but have not installed yet.  Has anyone tried
this?

Thanks,

Rudy