Good Afternoon,

I was finally glad that I had a wed. night free to attend a nycwireless
meeting, after being here in the city for almost 1 year.  The Yellowarrow
and presentation and Placelab presentations were wonderful!  The discussions
at the bar were great as well..  It was nice to meet everyone.

Anyway, I finally had a chance to dig out my URL's and email the list
regarding a number of the things that I discussed or brought up during the
meeting.

During the meeting, Ian mentioned the use of databases for determining the
locations of signals.  I said the FCC database was free and open to the
public.  I called it Gulfross.  Gulfross was the old name of the
system/server that they used.  The database has now been simplified and
renamed - it's now called the Universal Licensing System (ULS).

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/

One of the basic uses of ULS is to determine the owner and location of a
particular frequency.  For example purposes, say that I am a MMDS frequency
owner in Traverse City, MI and I am receiving interference on an adjacent
channel.  It looks like the transmitter on E1(2596-2602Mhz) is having
problems and it's spraying all over adjacent channels, but I can not
remember, because I have been up for 72 hours working on other problems, who
the owner is and where their transmitter is.. I suspect that they pulled the
output filters... so I use the uls system to look up the owner.

Here's the results:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2587067

Ok, it's those guys "Grand Wireless"... that is enough of a kick to my mind
that I recall who their RF engineer is and how to contact him.  Problem
solved.

I am also including several additional links to the FCC that are relevant:

ASR (Antenna Structure Registration)
ASR allows you to search for information about an existing tower, you can
use a number of search criteria to search, including lat and long.  This is
helpful if you know the loc of a site and want to determine who the tower
owner is so you can inquire about attaching an antenna or determining who
owns equipment that you suspect is interfering with you.
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp

Example search result showing old inaccurate data, ie. World Trade Center
Tower 1. Building with Tower:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=97472

ULS-GIS
This shows you in a GIS view the locations of BTA's (Basic trading areas)
and other forms of geographic based licensing, ie MTA's.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/ULSGis/ULSearchGis.jsp

Example:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/ULSGis/ULSearchGis.jsp;jsessionid=BiGjPFQ6Tz2pGKCcz
pR6PnO33cajTbjrlOEgmVp8Qx1aRQ0xeKyT!-1525260243

Near an Airport and need to determine if your tower / mast is too high?
Does it need an FCC engineering study done? Etc..

TOWAIR (or Landing Slope Facility Calculator)
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp

Who was that equipment manufacture that I use?  It's Vyyo.  A large majority
of supercell MMDS/ITFS/MDS deployments in the Us all use this equipment.
It's a system that is Docsis based.  They made a few modifications to the
standard to deal with the harsher RF conditions found in the wireless
environment.  You can take a standard docsis modem and it will work most of
the time, but it will be more sensitive to the signal fades thus rebooting
often.

http://www.vyyo.com/

Btw, if you know anyone that is looking for a IP wireless guy or network
admin please contact me.  My resume can be found on my web site:
http://www.dbeery.org/

--
David Beery