I'd like to see these markets open to all WISPs or ISPs on a free makrket
basis.If a city wants to build the infra structure, whiLe I wouldn't
recommend itm no big deal as long as it pays for itself or makes a profit.
Jim

By Glenn Fleishman
Special to Wi-Fi Networking News
Permanently archived item <http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004484.html>

[1] It's untrue that lobbyists are trying to kill Philly wireless plan, as
this article's headline reads: Instead, incumbent telcos and cable firms are
trying to kill all competitive broadband offerings and extend monopoly
powers beyond their traditional base into a field they've been struggling to
own since about 1996. It has little to do with Philly's plan in particular:
the language in the Pennsylvania bill is from April 2003. No one should be
hung up on the Philadelphia segment. This bill will prevent even tiny towns
from installing their own for-fee (even fee recovery) networks if the
incumbents serve that town and if they are engaged in a modernization plan.

It's fascinating to see that having failed over 10 years to meet goals that
were set, the incumbents have been told, okay, well, just another 10 years
before we think about breaking the monopoly and allowing better competition.

My take is that municipalities should be allowed to build infrastructure on
a vendor-neutral basis that they charge recovery fees to private carriers
and others to operate the network side. You could have non-profits charging
$5 per month to lower-income residents through subsidies and Comcast and
Verizon charging $19.95 per month as an add-on to the phone or cable bill.
It's all logical, quite literally.

What the incumbents have done now is radicalize the issue so that towns and
cities will be more likely to demand to serve as their own ISP instead of
working on vendor-neutral basis to allow all comers.

URLs referenced:
[1] <http://www.altustimes.com/articles/2004/11/24/ap/hitech/d86hu01g0.txt>

--
You are subscribed as [EMAIL PROTECTED]