Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:00:43 -0400
From: Hans Zaunere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: nycwireless@lists.nycwireless.net
Subject: [nycwireless] Too Many Aps - Interference

At my apartment, there are at least 14 APs at any given time, and all have
fairly strong signals, and are 802.11g.  Needless to say, the airwaves
around my apartment are packed.

As a result, my wireless signal will often drop out, and I'm figuring the
only reason is because of the interference.  I've restarted, double checked,
etc. my AP (Linksys WRTG54g) and all looks to be fine.  If I plug into the
AP, it's always fine.

I've tried changing channels, but to limited success.  On each of the 1, 6
and 11 channels, there are at least 3 other APs.  When I switch to a channel
in between, signal quality actually looks worse.  I've also changed between
B only and G only mode, but with little result.

So, what can someone do to get a reliable wireless signal in these types of
environments?  Are there any tips or online resources that describe the
advanced settings of the WRT54g that might improve my performance?  Any
other tips or resources?  And, if I were to buy a new AP, would it make a
difference, and what would some recommendations be?

Thanks,

---
Hans Zaunere
President, New York PHP
http://www.nyphp.com

 Microsoft: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
 Linux: Where do you want to go today?
 BSD: Are you guys coming, or what?

Robin-David Hammond     KB3IEN
        www.aresnyc.org.