On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, dopry wrote:

> The FCC didn't necessarily kill wholesale DSL. They rules that ILEC no
> longer have to provide access to their wireline broadband services.
> Wireline broadband services being bundled layer2 or layer3 network
> access and a physical line. It doesn't impact Unbundled Network
> Elements(UNE-L), the physical lines. As long as you're running your own
> DSLAM's you should be in the clear.
I think you should see that it is a matter of time before UNE-L goes the
way of UNE-P and line-sharing, with this FCC.

> It doesn't really change the broadband landscape that much. Covad and
> their resellers are safe and secure. The independents running their own
> DSLAMS and providing T1 are ok.. Verizon will probably let their
> existing resellers sit pretty.
a) Verizon may or may not let their resellers (or rather, partner ISPs
like us) to sit pretty. Right now, we are sitting nervous.

b) Covad isn't sitting all that pretty. Covad executed "commercial
agreements" with ILECs allowing them to continue to do line-sharing at a
cost that is substantially higher than their previous line-sharing cost.
Despite what you think, a minority of covad lines are UNE-L (non-shared).

> FTTH is my real concern. Existing regulation only applies to the copper
> plant, unless I've missed something in recent history. Incumbents do not
> have to share access to their fiber networks. Hopefully they will to
> help fulfill capacity and utilization, but that is a hope.  While
> Francois Menard alludes to pricing wars preventing municipalities from
> enter the FTTH race, I think it is unfounded, currently incumbent
> pricing is below cost for independent ISP's when scale is considered*. I
> don't think municipalities want to get involved in the expenses of
> rolling out or maintaining a fiber infrastructure, and Verizon will beat
> them to the chase anyway.
>
> I do however see this as a nod from the FCC to FTTH and Cable carriers,
> to go on their merry way and not to worry, their lobbying dollars have
> worked and they can move everything onto an IP platform without worry of
> having it yanked out from underneath them in the short term.
Pretty much.

> verizon's introductory DSL offer is ~324/yr / user provides up to
> 3Mbps/768Kbps depending on what your line will carry
>
> access costs for a thousand users is ~60/yr(line) + ~156/yr(bandwidth)
>       -$5/month/user UNE access
>       -13K/mo or $13/user/mo for a gige connection from HE.net
> so total access costs/mo is about $216...
Your math is completely confused. Where'd you take "5$/month/user UNE
access" number from? If you think "line sharing UNE" - that's *gone*. Now,
you have to pay for UNE-L, which is 20+$/month.

Also, you need only ~25-50Mbps of internet bandwidth to serve 1000 users
(surprising but true.)

> a thousand users over 1 year leaves you with
> 324K-216K = 108k
>
> and you still have to pay for salaries, rent, hardware, marketing,  and
> businesses expenses... Don't worry about taxes... you'll probably be in
> the red..
-alex