I think TWC once believed there was a threat to their business model from shared Wifi. After wasting a bunch of money I believe they realized there was no risk and gave it up.

- Dustin -

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Re: Old TWC Cease & Desist letters?

I'm new to the board, but haven't found much information about the reasons behind TWC/RR and other large incumbents' prohibition on connection sharing.
Whether right or wrong, I'm curious to know if anyone has specifically spoken
with these companies and found out their rationale for prohibiting connection
sharing.  If it were simply an issue of not wanting to support free-loaders,
why have they not created a captive-portal/authentication scheme?

Especially in light of Verizon starting to distribute WiFi devices with DSL,
this issue makes even less sense.

If anyone has an idea, please let me know.  If not, does anyone have any
contact information of people at TWC who may have been somewhat helpful?
Clearing up this issue might help us move the community wireless into a larger
number of homes and allow us to grow the network.

Thanks
Steven