posted at: http://www.wirelesscommunity.info/2005/11/17/wi-fi-salon- delays-free-public-wireless-networks/

According to the NewYorkology Blog, the Wi-Fi Salon has delayed installation of the rest of their network (they only got 1 hotspot out of 18 up and running) due to a delay in a potential park ad sponsor’s marketing plan. According to Marshall Brown,

“Put simply, we are in continued negotiations with a lead sponsor and several other sponsors. Their product launch delays affected their marketing spends, and in turn changed our timetable.”

Marshall has certainly been working diligently (we’ve spoken a number of times about his networks), but it seems this job is a lot harder to sell to sponsors then originally thought. Marshall has been working for the past 2 years to get advertising sponsors for his park installations, and has only been able to succeed once, at Battery Park.

The unfortunate reality, for us as New Yorkers, is that the NYC Parks Department brought this situation on itself. They announced months ago that Wi-Fi Salon is paying them a fee for the right to install these public park networks. To date, only 1 of 18 parks in the Parks Department Network has been brought online (in a similar amount of time–2 years–NYCwireless and other free public hotspot partners had brought online almost half a dozen locations). NYCwireless has always been of the mind that such public networks really don’t generate revenue, and for the NYC Parks Department to require a license fee to install in these parks is a disservice to the residents in these communities, who are the ones that aren’t getting their Wi-Fi.

We support Marshall and his vision to bring Wi-Fi to all of New York. Unfortunately, he hasn’t had much success, and it seems he’s still struggling. Perhaps part of the problem is that he’s going it alone, and he’s being forced make enough money to pay off the Parks Department.

One of the other issues with Marshall’s “If you build it, they will come” strategy for his hotspots is that he is selling them as “Community Hotspots” yet there’s no community. If you look at the Battery Park portal, there are only a few posts, and all (most?) of them are by Marshall. Building a hotspot that serves the community, and getting that community onboard requires much more than just a fancy portal page. It requires outreach, training, and even some marketing. It requires developing relationships with active community members, and encouraging them to reach out to others in their neighborhood.

Unfortunately, this type of community building is beyond both Marshall, who’s primary concern is selling advertising, and the NYC Parks Department, who thinks that they can just sit back and watch the money roll in.

As New Yorkers, we owe it to ourselves to make sure that such projects are handled properly, and that they are created as coalitions of appropriate and talented parties. Reach out to the NYC Parks Department, and let them know that you expect more from them.

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless
[EMAIL PROTECTED]