I just got an EVDO card for my laptop and I'm finding the service is little better than fast dial-up. I mean, it might be alright as overly expensive DSL, but it's too expensive as fast dial-up.

Does anyone have anything positive to say in behalf of the EVDO experience? I have till Jan 1 to turn the card back in and cancel service. I think I'd rather spend all day cracking WEP encryption than endure this for much longer.

Robert Schainbaum

Schainbaum, Robert wrote:

This government through the FCC could intervene for public policy reasons, which are damned obvious, or subscribers could decline to accept service unless it were fully network neutral. It seems to me this SBC business is the first shot any of the ISPs has taken at network neutrality except for the blocking of the occasional port now and again.

Then there's the fact that Google et al enjoy the universal goodwill of the online public. The ISPs are universally hated, monopolistic bloodsuckers. The latter goes without saying. As for the so-called telecoms, if they're rich enough to do large-scale acquisitions, it's silly to worry that they're not in a position to make decent profits. Could be argued that they've long since been making excessive profits.

Utilities, because of their declining marginal cost curves, are natural monopolies. There is EVERY reason to regulate them as there is always good reason to regulate a natural monpoly (per the standard works in public policy).

Dustin Goodwin wrote:

As usual Jeff Pulver puts it all down in words. SBC fired the first shot.But Bell South has basically confirmed it was more then a misquote. Phone companies think they can control the Internet and select the content their paying customers get to see. "his company should be allowed to charge a rival voice-over-Internet firmso that its service can operate with the same quality as BellSouth's offering."

These grey haired over-stuffed and over-paid executives that think they are going to re-invented the Internet from a cell phone on the 18th hole of their country club have another thing coming. This war is just getting started!

If you have not taken part in the the NYCwireless Network Neutrality Challenge please get involved NOW.
http://www.nycwireless.net/tiki-index.php?page=BroadbandChallenge

What is the point of having a FCC if they don't jump in on stuff like this??????

- Dustin -

---
The Second Glove Is Thrown Down - Let the Communication Wars Begin:

Is BellSouth just sucking up to Ed Whitacre in hopes of acquisition, or are the Bells really throwing down the gauntlet against the Internet Application Providers?

As I have said before, the new battlelines are emerging in the communications war. The battle -- once waged between ILECs and CLECs, between cable and LEC, between wireline and wireless, between terrestrial and satellite -- has officially morphed into a battle between Internet Access Provider and Internet Application Provider. This did not have to be the case; the battle could have persisted between and among Internet Access Providers, with each trying to gain the support of the Internet Application Providers to offer their users more compelling content, services and applications. Instead, it appears as if the Internet Access Providers are on theverge of opting for a more "cartel-like" approach, hoping that they can all, in concert and using their collective control over last-mile and first-mile access facilities, extract as much additional revenue from the Internet Application Providers who cannot reach end-users except through one or the other of their bottleneck facilities.

And, here I was, naively assuming that Ed Whitacre was the outlier, the only Bell exec publicly threatening to charge Internet Applications Providers for access to users. Well, it might just be that Ed Whitacre was simply the pioneer, the public water-tester, the one foreshadowing the preferred approach of the other LECs and the other providers of Internet access. Frankly, I am floored by their premature flagging of this battle, and their desire to serve as the gatekeeper/toll-collectors to the Web, to IP-based applications, and to the broader Internet. If I were the spokesperson for an Internet Access Provider, I think I would not have revealed my hand quite so early. I think I might have waited a few more months, orat least until the final and irreversible removal of all vestiges of government oversight - laws, regulations, and antitrust precedent -- that would have ensured that users would have a choice of service and application providers.

I still cannot understand why the Bells don't embrace the virtuous cycle between Internet Access Provider and Internet Application Provider? The proliferation of worthwhile Internet applications is what will drive broadband uptake and increase Internet access revenue from users, itching to avail themselves of Web 2.0, Voice 2.0, Internet 2.0? Perhaps they will recognize this synergy if and when a Google or a Yahoo buys an SBC or a Verizon.

In any event, here is the current state of the battle:

BellSouth's Bill Smith, whom I have always respected as a forthright, forward-looking technologist with a genuine desire to bring broadband and new services to consumers, was quoted as saying that "his company should beallowed to charge a rival voice-over-Internet firm so that its service can operate with the same quality as BellSouth's offering." <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/30/AR2005113002109.html>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/30/AR2005113002109.html</A>

(As an aside, I cannot think of a VoIP provider with a codec that uses more than 200 Kbs -- below the FCC's generally-recognized definition of broadband. Indeed Skype, Vonage, and FWD can operate at or even below 64 Kbs. So, if the Bells are truly offering broadband -- at least 200 Kbs, and advertising FIOS and other fiber-based services at 15 Mbs (give or take) -- why wouldn't their service stand up to their advertised quality standards, and why would they have to charge more to offer a service thatmeets their advertised bandwidth standards?)

In any case, we had anticipated this battle, but not quite so soon.
Apparently, net neutrality means different things to different people, depending on whether you control the network and user access or not. To the Bells, net neutrality and nondiscrimination means that the Internet Access Provider may not block or discriminate against Web content or services by degrading their performance, but the Internet Access Provider may charge for superior access, above and beyond a baseline service level that all content providers would enjoy.

I guess "nondiscrimination" means different things to different people, depending on where you stand in the Internet food chain.

And the second glove is pulled off in what might now become a bare-fistedfight between the Internet Application Providers and Internet Access Providers. The first glove was removed when Ed Whitacre used the "F" word, calling the VoIP providers "free-riders", using HIS network to reach HIS customers.

Actually, there was a less-public third indication of the coming war backin the Summer of 2004. I recall Larry Babio, Verizon Vice Chair, sayingat the Progress and Freedom Foundation's Aspen Summit that the unaffiliated VoIP providers were free-riders. I do not understand; or is it they who do not understand that unaffiliated VoIP providers DO pay for access to "their" network, just like any other large volume user or
enterprise?   The problem emerges because the Internet Access providers
think they have the right to discriminate between the user who uses the network to sell pizza and the user who uses the network to provide voice communications. Perhaps if the Bells were to expand their operations to provide pizza as well, the pizza lobby would see the problem too. The truth is that the ability to discriminate against unaffiliated IP-based application providers does interfere with the ability of ALL end-users to maximize their communications and Internet experience, by the creation of Internet Access Provider-controlled walled gardens.

Hearing this from BellSouth's most honorable CTO the other day just verifies that we are not being paranoid. The Bells seem collectively committed to renege on the promise and the vision of Arpanet, and to supplant theopen, public Internet with their own walled gardens.

Perhaps the baseline principle might have to be that providers of Internet access cannot discriminate against end-users in terms of price and bandwidth capability. Now that Moore's Law has allowed the service or application to be disintermediated from the access provider, an application or service provider can simply be an end-user purchasing connectivity from an Internet access provider. Is it fair for the Internet access provider to charge one rate for the enterprise that delivers pizza and a premium to the enterprise that delivers Internet applications? This is the principle that seems absent from the debate, from proposed statutory reform, from proposed regulatory reform.

I fear that one day soon, the Internet Access Providers' true goal will be revealed - to create walled gardens, in which it would be, at best, a Hobson's Choice for a user to pick any service or application other than that which is spoon-fed to the end-user by the Internet Access Provider.

I look forward to the day in which the Internet Application Providers become as adept at lobbying and working the legislative and policy arena as the Internet Access Providers. Admittedly, it is a steep learning curve and the Internet Access Providers have a few decades head-start.

<http://pulverblog.pulver.com/archives/003386.html>