With all the speculation and hand wringing surrounding the Philly project it's nice to get a few details. I am curious to know what the ISPs on the list think of the $12 wholesale price? Also it is fascinating to read that instead of just renting out their pole tops to the highest bidder and throwing the funds into the general revenues (Hello NYC?) they are taking a different approach. Granted the devil is in the details but it is a strong foundation. Increasing broadband competition while also serving the public good and to boot providing telecom services to the city... smart? I hope they can deliver on these ambitions. NYC and the rest of the country is badly in need of a sensible model to follow.

I hope everyone on the list takes note of one more important fact. The Philly plan calls for little free Wifi. Municipal broadband has been mistakenly identified as free Wifi many times on this list and elsewhere. While NYCwireless has been involved in my "free Wifi and free beer" projects it is not necessarily the sensible way to implement municipal broadband. My standard disclaimer applies... PLEASE don't go off topic into a political rant. The list seems to be degrading into political mud slinging contest and I would rather shutdown the list then have it become that annoying. Also there are plenty of appropriate places on the Internet to have those debates..

- Dustin -

ps. I am hoping one of the 22 free hotspots is situated between Pat and Ginos. Free Wifi and good Cheese steaks. Yum!

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/006332.html

   Phila. Closes Deal with EarthLink, Releases Terms

By Glenn Fleishman

*The AP reports that Philadelphia has signed its contracts with EarthLink <http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/business/13992299.htm>*: (http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/business/13992299.htm )The deal includes 4,000 utility poles and $300,000 in utility payments from EarthLink per year plus $2 million in advance payments against revenue. These funds will be used to purchase 10,000 computers and training for low-income families; Phila. has a huge computer ownership gap as well as broadband and Internet access gap. The non-profit Wireless Philadelphia will receive five percent of EarthLink’s revenue, which is roughly the same as cable franchise fees. EarthLink will also provide $9.95 per month accounts for up to 25,000 low-income households, and 22 free Wi-Fi hotspots around down.

The contract spans 10 years and is estimated to cost $20 to $22 million to fulfill. Note that this isn’t a different number from earlier expectations. The network was originally expected to cost $10 to $12 million to build and $1m per year to maintain. Over 10 years, an estimated $20-$22m conforms to that range.

The city government will receive 3,000 accounts—noted as free or discounted—and 700 discounted “T-1” accounts, the AP reports, which are really point-to-multipoint broadband wireless connections over the Motorola Canopy aggregation network. Not mentioned here is Philadelphia moving other chunks of its existing data and telecom spending to Wireless Philadelphia and EarthLink; that amount was once estimated in the millions per year.

EarthLink’s wholesale rate will be higher than originally projected at $12 per month rather than $9 per month. Retail pricing isn’t noted here, although $20 per month was the original target. However, EarthLink under provisions of network-neutrality shouldn’t be able to underprice other retail partners.

The next step? A 15-square-mile test network.