On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 19:39 -0500, Joe Plotkin wrote:
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kevinmaney/2006-03-07-att-bellsouth_x.htm
>
> AT&T-BellSouth merger grows from weakness
>
> Three years ago, BellSouth CEO Duane Ackerman popped into our offices to
> tell us how miserable his business was.

I was reading a Wall Street Journal editorial on this merger and it was
bizarre.  While it made some fundamentally sound points about the
weakness of the original AT&T breakup, it just grossed over the entire
problem of the monopoly of the last mile by the baby bells and their
abject monopolistic behaviors which have left the US way behind, as the
article pointed out, in terms of broadband.

The thrust of the editorial was to dis google for campaigning for
network neutrality.  In doing so, they created their own world of make
believe where baby bell monopolies on local lines were not the causative
reason for the business and technological troubles that the US has faced
and which is ruining out competitiveness.

Ruben