You're wrong, again, Jim.

Content providers (who are only 1 aspect of people who provide information/service on the net) already pay for their pipe. AT&T and Verizon's concept of freedom isn't freedom at all. Its double taxation. You would have a content provider pay for their bandwidth in exactly the same way that a consumer does (these relationships between backbone providers and ISPs are similar regardless of the direction of bitflow, and then PAY AGAIN just to get their bits to be carried at some point further downstream, which they've already paid for when they paid their ISP (who pays THEIR backbone provider).

This is discrimination of the worst kind.

Furthermore, backbone prioritization has the effect of REDUCING the speed of organizations that don't pay up.

In addition, this amounts to unfair marketpower, since the backbone provider wouldn't be able to exert such directed market pressures if they weren't leveraging US, their monopolized end users.

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless
[EMAIL PROTECTED]