While we're here, let me talk about some muni wifi things that I've
figured out.

While this post is long, please don't consider it a finished document.
There's some wordsmithing, and documentation of some of the claims I make,
which still needs to be done. This will happen. Eventually.

Firstly, there is a big difference in service levels between different
technology. Fiber is the most reliable, followed by coax, followed by
4-wire twisted pair circuits (T1), followed by DSL, followed by dialup,
and WiFi brings up the rear ( I leave out cups and strings and its more
problematic cousin BPL - Broadband over Power Lines). Consumers expect to
pay more money for more reliable services, and LESS for LESS reliable
services. But of course speed is an issue, and also availability. Many
parts of the country are stuck with dial-up right now, which is more
reliable than WiFi but also damned SLOW.

The complaints about WiFi relate to municipal/suburban systems, where
there is a competing use of the 2.4 ghz band. Rural WiFi may work better
because of less interference, but they also have greater distances to
cover.

As long as WiFi is stuck on the part 15 spectrum (2.4 ghz) there will
always be the problem of interference with other part 15 users and the
primary users of the space (Amateur radio, for example). While the U-NII 5
ghz band is a lot less crowded, it has problems related to its
considerably higher frequency: namely, it is more dependany on
line-of-sight to have good coverage. But I am going to ignore 802.11A for
now. More on that later.

So, wireless isn't that reliable. This isn't a huge problem for many
people, if the service were CHEAP. But the $21.95 Earthlink is charging is
just too much money, when there are advertised $15 rates for DSL from
Verizon and the like. It sounds to me like anyone who is in a service area
for for Verizon DSL would be more likely to go that route.

So what if Earthlink dropped their prices? What level would be cheap
enough? Perhaps $10 a month. But this might be too little for them to pay
for the infrastructure they've built. Regardless if it is, or isn't
economically viable to charge $10, there is the problem of customer
expectations. Once a customer spends any money whatsoever, they have
expectations that they will be able to call someone and get any problems
they have fixed. Or at least they'll get put on hold for a while, and the
bureaucracy will eventually creak along and fix the problem. This is the
same, if someone spends $1 or $21.95 or $100. So, there's the expectation
of some level of support, but this becomes particularly difficult when the
system isn't particularly reliable. And, as mentioned before, WiFi is NOT
particularly reliable. So, there are more disgrunteled customers sitting
on hold, requiring more customer service respresentatives to tell them
that the problem is being examined. Or to tell them to get close to a
window and move around till the signal gets better.

In addition, there is the increased percentage of the fee going to
transaction costs, with a decrease in price. What I mean is that certain
transaction costs are fixed. For instance, credit card processors
typically charge a transaction fee of something like fifty cents, plus a
2% commission. When you're a merchant involved in large transactions
(diamonds, a full tank of gas for a SUV) you are concerned more with the
percentage, when you are a penny retailer (linux CDs on ebay), the fixed
transaction fee is more important.  WISPs start becoming more
concerned with the transaction cost as their monthly rate is forced down.
Besides credit card rates, there are issues like postage and paper costs
when sending bills, labor costs for processing payments, etc.

What if you were able to eliminate expectations and overhead and just make
the service FREE and get money in another manner? This is the attraction
of advertising supported Internet access. It's pretty tempting, but the
returns from said advertising do not currently justify the cost of wifi
infrastructure. This MAY be because many of the WiFi equipment vendors are
still trying to market towards traditional WISPs that are still trying to
compete with wired ISPs in regards to reliability.

Another potential funding source is public coffers. Many people object to
this usage of public funds, but we're already funding public radio & TV,
newspapers, bulletin boards, etc. In addition, by providing a public
Internet service, other problems are addressed. One of these is the
infamous issue of the Digital Divide, i.e. the tendancy of the lower
income people to not have broadband Internet access, therefore much less
education in computers & technology, and therefore less job opportunities.
a Public Internet would obviously give these people much more access to
the Internet. Another cost center that could be addressed, is the cost of
public information dispersal: If a Public Internet became available, it
could replace other, less efficient modes of official communication (for
instance, the 'official notices' section of the newspaper), saving time
and money for a municipality.

So perhaps what is needed is a FREE, PERVASIVE Internet that differs from
the wired providers in its level of reliability and support. It would be
the equivalent to Public Transit, in that it's available but if you can
afford it or have a special need that makes it worthwhile, you might want
to just pay for a commercial service (buy a car, or take a taxi, or pay
that Comcast fee).

This is only an outline of my thoughts. Yes, I am writing a book ;) And
yes, we are building something like this. But not in New York. It's in
Cambridge, Mass. It's called Cambridge Public Internet.