On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Kevin Mark wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:19:19PM -0400, Jon Baer wrote:
> > Saw this in the NYPost this morning ... I find it really hard to
> > believe that between RFID, WiFi, WiMax, etc that no technology can
> > tell me simply when the next train is arriving.  The question is what
> > the real problem is?  Since Siemens has been in the rail business for
> > a long time ... makes me wonder if there will ever be wide area
> > signal coverage underground.
> >
> > http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/signal/siemens/
> >
> Hi Jon,
> the US has hugh military contractors, the FBI, CIA, silicon valley,
> ebay, YouTube, amazon.com and ... the worst cell phone standards,
> internet pentration, prices and speed, and ... cant locate busses and
> subway trains.  Whereas norway and japan excel in cell phones, internet
> speed and pentration and locating busses and trains and dont have any of
> those hitech companies or a huge military that spends trillions. Exactly
> what accounts for our as status as #1 in everything? Got me?

I think this is incorrect. The US does not excel in everything, but we
have far from the worst Internet penetration/speed etc. The US cell phone
standards aren't that bad either - yes I use a GSM phone but the other
systems used in the US (I assume you mean IS-95 CDMA) is no worse.
Flippant anti-Americanism doesn't really ad much to the discussion.