Audubon and The Nature Conservancy have partnered on a study to identify and
protect critical stopover habitats in the Lake Ontario basin of New York, as
well as to improve our understanding of why birds choose to stop in certain
places.  This past Spring we launched the pilot study, and this fall we are
looking for volunteers who are strong birders to help us with the expanded fall
season of this important project.

Recent studies indicate that migration is the period of highest mortality for
neotropical migrant birds, and the conservation of migratory birds requires
protecting a network of stopover sites, particularly in the highly-altered Lake
Ontario watershed.  However, there is only anecdotal information about
important stopover sites, and no tool to predict where they occur.  In this
project, Audubon New York, TNC and other partners are developing a predictive
model of stopover habitat for the NY portion of Lake Ontario's watershed, based
on habitat and landscape characteristics and proximity to the lakeshore.  This
model is now being validated by a volunteer-based field study of migratory bird
abundance and diversity.

We are seeking very experienced volunteer birders in the Lake Ontario Watershed
who would be available to monitor specific sites this fall.  Money is available
to cover volunteer travel expenses associated with this study. For more
information or if you or someone you know might be interested, please contact
Laura McCarthy (lmccar...@audubon.org<mailto:lmccar...@audubon.org>).  Thank
you!

Laura McCarthy
Grassroots Coordinator
Audubon New York
200 Trillium Lane
Albany, NY 12203
518-869-9731
lmccar...@audubon.org<mailto:lmccar...@audubon.org>

[cid:image001.gif@01CA0C49.E7BA69A0]To be successful in our conservation
efforts, we need your help!
Sign up for Audubon Alerts and the Advisory at
www.audubonaction.org/newyork<http://www.audubonaction.org/newyork>