A big thanks to Bob Gochfeld for posting my sighting. Just a brief follow up with a little more details. I was sitting on the beach at Riis Park, Bay 14, with my wife. At approximately 12:55pm, she exclaimed, "Look a pelican!" Sure enough, flying in from the west, and very close to shore, was a Brown Pelican (my wife actually gets the credit for this one, not me). It landed in the water, about 100 yards offshore, between Bay 13 & 14, and hung around for about 20 minutes. Eventually, it took off flying east, staying relatively close to shore. Here's a link to a map with the exact location ... hey, maybe he'll come back :)

http://tinyurl.com/kwlfpk

I guess he's looking to catch up with his friends out at Jones Beach.

Good birding,

Rob