A late afternoon slog along the North West end of the East Pond where I
caught up with Lloyd Spitalnik and Don Riepe turned up many of the same
species reported recently.  Of note, were a couple of Black-bellied Plovers
in breeding plumage.  We also had a couple of good candidates for *
Hendersonii* Short-billed Dowitchers; one with a very Rufous plumage as
noted by birders Carlo and John.  Lloyd had also noted earlier one adult
Gull-billed Tern.

A comment on accessing the pond.  I met a father and daughter back at the
North Channel Bridge parking lot, who I learned had attempted the pond with
sneakers.  They got no further than the entrance of the North End, as the
soft mud was too much.  The father indicated that he had read on the list
server that hiking the pond was managable, but somehow missed that waders
were necessary.

I figured I would put this reminder out there.  Waders are your best bet and
with the recent rain, the mud is even softer making waders a necessity.

Good birding in the mud!
Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY