This morning (7:15 - 9:00 am) I scanned the extensive sandflat at Mecox Inlet
(Watermill, Suffolk Co.) from the overlook on the eastern side. A good number
of shorebirds and terns were present, including 2 WHIMBREL which flew in around
8:15 and single a BLACK TERN. Here are my approximate totals.

Forster's Tern - 25
Common Tern - 30+
BLACK TERN - 1
Least Tern - 40+
Laughing Gull - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 10
Lesser Yellowlegs - 3
Western Willet - 6
Eastern Willet - 2 (fresh juvs)
WHIMBREL - 2
Short-billed Dowitcher - 15
Ruddy Turnstone - 4
White-rumped Sandpiper - 5
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 200+ (mix of ads and juvs)
Least Sandpiper - 160
Sanderling - 220
Black-bellied Plover - 20
Killdeer - 2
Piping Plover - 10
Semipalmated Plover - 60

Be advised that parking on either side of the inlet is a major problem between
9 am and 5 pm. Nearby Sagaponack and Georgica Ponds are brimming full and offer
little in the way of shorebird/tern habitat.

Angus Wilson -- New York City/Springs -- http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/