8/9/09 Potsdam (St. Lawrence Co.)

Sedge Wren – the wren that arrived on 7/5/09 was singing from an exposed
perch near Plum Brook behind our home.  Our neighbors mow walking trails
through the fields and I hiked near where the bird has been singing – I have
a good idea where the nest is located.  I hope the young leave the nest
before the annual August mowing takes place.

There has been a trickle of migrants heard each night during the first week
of August.

8/12/09 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

A female Black Bear with 3 cubs was observed each day outside our Long Lake
home.  Until this summer, I had never observed bears with more than 2 cubs.
Warbler waves were observed each day.

Here are some of the species found on a short hike of the Northville-Placid
Trail (S) in Long Lake (late morning):

Broad-winged Hawk

Merlin

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Winter Wren - several

Golden-crowned Kinglet – many

Hermit Thrush – singing

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Also, several Pine Sawyers were heard chewing conifers.  Indian Pipe, Bottle
Gentian, Pearly Everlasting, and Touch-me-not were in bloom among many other
wildflowers.

8/13/09 Low’s Ridge-Upper Dam Trail (Piercefield-Colton, St. Lawrence Co.)
12:30 p.m.

I hiked 1.5 miles on the Low’s Ridge-Upper Dam Trail (3 miles round trip).
I had this lovely trail to myself and I was surprised to find so much midday
activity.  I had wonderful views of 11 warbler species.  Here are some of
the species observed:

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Common Raven

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Gray Jay – at least 2 (I think there were 3, but I couldn’t see them all at
one time) – at the location where there are wide open views of the bog ~ 1
mile in.

Nashville Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler

Amer. Redstart

Common Yellowthroat

Canada Warbler – singing at the trailhead

Lincoln’s Sparrow – nice views!

White-throated Sparrow

8/14/09 Hewitt Eddy – Boreas River Trails (Minerva in Essex Co.) 9 a.m. to
11:30 a.m.

It was a misty morning on Friday, and the myriad spider webs were all
illuminated in dew.  I wanted to hike the loop, so left my car at the Boreas
River Trailhead and hiked the ¾ mile on Route 28N to the Hewitt Eddy
Trailhead.  As I neared the trailhead, I heard a woodpecker in boreal
habitat down a steep embankment.  I thought twice, and immediately dropped
down the hill – at the bottom, I heard a Black-backed Woodpecker
vocalization.  I hiked to a tree with 2 female Black-backed Woodpeckers with
one vocalizing non-stop as I watched them.  I had that wonderful primeval
feeling in this misty world of spruce/fir, thick sphagnum moss, and all
those illuminated spider webs around me.  Boreal Chickadees began to
vocalize deeper in the forest.  I didn’t have a compass or the sun to assist
in a longer bushwhack, so I made my way through the forest in the direction
of the trail – but as it turned out, I encountered 3 different flocks of
Boreal Chickadees along the Hewitt Eddy portion of the hike.  Most of the
birds I observed were along the Hewitt Eddy Trail (1 mile) which has
beautiful boreal habitat.  The Boreas River section (also 1 mile) is loud –
especially this summer with the river raging.  The Boreas River section also
had many difficult muddy sections and areas where the trail is eroding close
to the river.  Even so, I enjoy the Boreas River Trail because it is
extremely scenic.  But if you are interested in hearing/seeing birds, you
can park at the Hewitt Eddy Trail and hike back out the same way (after
hitting the “eddy” where the trail picks up the Boreas River).  The
vegetation was so wet from dew that I was soaked within a few minutes and my
hiking boots felt like walking on sponges.  The sun was just breaking
through the mist while I was on the Boreas River Trail – creating wild
shadows through the conifers.  This is always a great walk for mushrooms
also!  Here are some of the species found on the hike:

Bald Eagle – second year flying over the “eddy” – beautiful!

Broad-winged Hawk

Ruby-throated Hummingbird – buzzed me as I watched a flock of Boreal
Chickadees

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker – 2 females

Boreal Chickadee – at least 11 (flocks of at least 5, 3, and 3)

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Swainson’s Thrush – calling a few feet from me!

Hermit Thrush

Warblers:  Nashville, Magnolia, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green,
Common Yellowthroat, and Canada

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Later on Friday, our family boated to Turtle Beach at the north end of Long
Lake.  Six Common Loons were observed on the trip (1, 1, & 4).  I canoed my
mother a short distance into the Raquette River and we saw/heard many birds
including a Common Merganser family of 10, 2 Great Blue Herons, many Belted
Kingfishers, and a singing Eastern Wood-Pewee and Eastern Phoebe.   She said
it was one of the prettiest places she has ever seen, and she wants to take
up canoeing and do the thru-trip to Axton Landing with me!  (And she said
she’d like to learn how to camp too!  Not bad for a 75-year old!)

8/15/09 Long Lake

Our observations of the black bear family were usually made early in the
morning (or middle of the night when our dogs went crazy) or in the evening,
but on Saturday, the bears were feeding on raspberries right outside our
house at 12:30 p.m.  While it was wonderful to observe the adorable bear
cubs, I was concerned that the mother bear was teaching her cubs to be so
comfortable around houses (& humans).

8/16/09 Northville-Placid Trail (S) in Long Lake 8:30 a.m.

I took an earlier hike on the N-P Trail on Sunday and found many species –
here are some of them:

Broad-winged Hawk – along the trail (and at our home)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker – many observed during our time in Long Lake from
Wed. to Sun.

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee – at least 6 in 2 different flocks

Winter Wren – singing

Golden-crowned Kinglet – kinglets and Red-breasted Nuthatches were abundant
on all my hikes

Hermit Thrush – calling (the first day without singing – almost the exact
same date each year)

Warblers: Magnolia, Black-throated Blue, Yellow-rumped, Common Yellowthroat,
and 3 different singing Canada Warblers!

White-throated Sparrow – still singing

Purple Finch

Evening Grosbeak – at least 3

I also saw a snowshoe hare that had been just a few feet from me when I
stopped to observe a bird.

The Red and Black Spruce (new) cone crops were excellent everywhere I hiked
in the past week.  (In addition to the excellent cone crop on Balsam Fir
trees already discussed on the list.)

Joan Collins

Potsdam & Long Lake