Sorry for the tardy post.  Things have been a bit hectic lately...

The following is Mike Fritz's report on the August 8 pelagic out of
Belmar, NJ to the Hudson Canyon.

We headed offshore via the Glory Hole and onward to the Hudson Canyon,
getting 80 plus miles offshore at the furthest point.  The Glory Hole
had a sizable fleet of fishing boats and we had several Cory's
Shearwaters and Greater Shearwaters nearby along with a steady stream
of Wilson's Storm-Petrels, but nothing else so we continued offshore.
We were looking for an area of 78 degree water in the Hudson that was
there on Friday, but the water stayed around 69 degrees and never got
above 72 degrees, which is very cold for August.  The strong NW wind
on Fri/Sat probably pushed the warm water offshore.

We got to the tip of the Hudson, put out oil and chum, and attracted a
few Audubon's Shearwaters, more Greaters, and Wilson's Storm-Petrels
very close to the boat.  We had Offshore Bottlenose Dolphins, Risso's
Dolphins, as well as Common Dolphins as we headed out further into the
Hudson. We had close looks at a Mola Mola (Ocean Sunfish) and we had a
"small" (maybe 12-14 foot) Basking Shark swim around the boat several
times.  We chummed for a while at our furthest point and had nothing
new, so we started to work back in.

On the way in, a few people on the bow got to enjoy the sight of a
large whale breaching, but he wouldn't repeat the show for the rest of
us.  On the way back through the Glory Hole we had many flocks of
feeding Wilson's Storm-petrels and ended the day with almost 600 total.

Trip Totals:

Wilson's Storm Petrel  - 596
Cory's Shearwater      -  18
Greater Shearwater     -  19