My wife and I were birding Piermont Pier, Rockland Co. around 4 PM this
afternoon. Shortly after we arrived, we ran into Drew Ciganek and Carol
Weiss. Drew asked if we were there to see the Yellow-fronted Canary, to
which I replied "What????". The bird was easily located by following its
clear, unique song, somewhat reminiscent of an Indigo Bunting. It sang
almost continuously over the hour or so we observed the bird. It favored the
trees and grasses along the north side of the Pier near the emergency rescue
boat launch and small cinderblock building. Drew and Carol had seen the bird
at this same location for at least the past week. There was no evidence of a
band, but this exotic is undoubtedly an escapee. Photographs of the bird are
posted on www.rocklandaudubon.org <http://www.rocklandaudubon.org/> . Follow
the hyperlink on the homepage.

Alan Wells