Subject: adult Red-necked Stint - Brigantine NWR - 8/23
From: Tom Bailey <ammodramus AT COMCAST.NET>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:30:10 +0000

Today, Aug. 23 at 10:15 am at Brigantine NWR, I found an adult Red- necked Stint. It was in the northeast corner of the west pool about 50-75 yards after the dog-leg.

After a few minutes of watching it all the shorebirds took flight, landed, then took flight again and re-landed again, in effect "shuffling the deck". I spent another 45 minutes there but could not re-locate it. There are thousands of peep in that area and many Stilt Sandpipers and a Wilson's Phalarope. An Am. Golden Plover was there as well but flew into the grass area at the dog-leg.

The Roseate Spoonbill continutes there. Also seen were 6 Black Terns and about 600 or so Red Knots. The west pool was full of shorebirds.

Tom

Tom Bailey
Tabernacle, NJ
ammodramus AT comcast.net