Thursday, 8 October 2008

Interesting weather setting up overnight - there appear to be a lot of birds moving thru the state, while a large & potentially lengthy weather event is slowly encroaching from the W/SW... some of that impulse perhaps out of Mexico with 'coat-tails' in TX & elsewhere west, south & a bit north thru southern Great Lakes. The National Weather Service notes some of the weather has originated in the "Pacific subtropical" region- i.e., w. Mexico.

Incidentally those wanting a look at data from the Fire Island (Suffolk County) hawk watch (and/or many other hawk watch sites, sanctioned by HMANA) can check out http://hawkcount.org - Fire Island has had flights of kestrels that this year include 71 recorded in 8 & 1/2 hour's watch on 9/19/09 with 50 Merlins also noted on that day. Lighthouse Point watch (New Haven, CT) also has some even larger American Kestrel tallies this fall. If you go to the HawkCount website, try the monthly summaries & scroll thru the site listings alphabetically. Some watch sites have delays in posting their numbers, up to any number of days. On the raptor watch topic, a Golden Eagle was tallied at Franklin Mountain out near Oneonta, their first of the season but surely very far from last. On a personal note, even more of a highlight from there was an occurrence of Richard Porricelli, who i am assuming is the same RP who graced the Central Park hawk watch (in its initial most active phase) with legendary hawk-eyes despite "tiny- toy" bins... http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/HAWK.html#1255040248

Quite far from us but of note is a Green Violet-ear very recently found in southern-most INDIANA -
https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A2=ind0910&L=IN-BIRD-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=19152
https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A2=ind0910&L=IN-BIRD-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=41985

-   -   -
Thursday 8 October, I visited the Rockaway peninsula & also Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge both in Queens County, New York City, & much more briefly stopped in at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn - Kings County, N.Y. City - before the Queens sites. On the Rockaways I stopped at Fort Tilden, Breezy Point (& Tilden again) & Jacob Riis Park - in that order. There were a lot of birds (even if perhaps 33% appeared to be Myrtle/Yellow-rumped Warblers) and there were some obvious highlights, listed a bit arbitrarily below. it was hard to tell how much was fresh flight (some, anyhow) and how many birds were 'leftovers' from flights of recent days. The wind was far less strong or gusty than the previous day's gusts and mainly out of the west. Some clouds filtered in later; temperatures ranged from 50's towards 70 F. later, although not that mild at the seashore itself. I was not aware of mosquitoes anywhere with the breezy conditions.

1 DICKCISSEL, seen a bit briefly and noted by clear "electric" call notes, Floyd Bennett Field Brooklyn, at edge of the brushy access off the runway to "return-a-gift" pond, at the "North 40" section (first possible left after comng in the park entrance & then all the way straight in as far as can be driven with no further turns). There were fairly numerous SPARROWS in that vicinity including a LINCOLN'S, & multiple Swamp, Song, White-throated, Chipping & more Sparrows. The pond itself had some G.-w. Teal & Greater Yellowlegs - views are not the greatest with much vegetation this season. I didn't bird F.B. Field that extensively, & the "community gardens" were a little too active with gardeners & some compost being delivered and distributed, even at the very early hour I stopped by. There appeared to be a little dawn flight in progress as I first arrived at F.B. Field - Red- winged Blackbirds, Blue Jays, Cedar Waxwings & American Robins among most obvious as the day dawned. I checked the large puddles in the North 40 runway, no shorebirds: for that matter, no birds see there.

1 (1st-year, lacking red) RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, Fort Tilden (west end), flying through on the south trail (road) parallel with the beach, ~7:45 a.m. - couldn't come up with it again afterward despite a bit of searching & one can only wonder what migrants occur & stay around ever within the Breezy Point community, with its private gated streets...

10 species of SPARROWS (or 12, if one adds in junco & towhee) highlighted by a NELSON'S (formerly/recently called Nelson's Sharp- tailed) Sparrow in the scrub at Neponsit (north towards the bay & at the eastern extremity of Jacob Riis Park - the area isn't easily seen when approaching from the beach side - with more & more Poison Ivy etc. in the entry path each year, but can be found from the bay side *no parking there though* west of Beach 149 Street. Do NOT enter private property! ) & a VESPER Sparrow at Fort Tilden in a scrubby but more open small field NW of Battery Harris West (access via a path past that), plus a couple of young WHITE-CROWNED, many White-throated (150+ in total), Swamp (dozens in total), Field (1), Chipping (30+ in total), Savannah (fair number = 20+, at the west end of Breezy in dune scrub), and Song Sparrows, as well as Eastern Towhee (25+ in total) & Slate-colored Dark-eyed Junco (several).

6 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS in a flock that briefly landed next to the Breezy Point beach access road (the sand road) off Beach 227 Street in the Breezy Point community - these seemed odd mainly because it didn't appear to be a big day [?] for other icterids such as Red-winged Blackbirds, etc.

10 Horned Larks (in one flock) & about 6 American Pipits all moving a lot at the west end of Breezy Pt. in dune scrub. The area was frequented by 3 falcon species & 2 accipiter species so passerines were understandably nervous. A single OSPREY was up at very high altitude as I worked my way east again from Breezy. My falcon sightings included at least 8 American Kestrels & 6 Merlins, plus one big mama Peregrine. The 12+ accipiters I saw were almost all Sharp- shinned Hawks, with a Cooper's Hawk or two working Breezy's thickets.

"Odds & ends" of the 3 western Rockaway sites I visited included a fairly late BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER (Ft. Tilden woods), a somewhat late YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO (same area), 2 HUMMINGBIRDS (well, they appeared to be Archilochus and presumably RUBY-THROATED - but I've been famously wrong on that score once before... it is well within normal dates for fall Ruby-throats, though! Both were trending in the expected southwest direction), a single CLIFF SWALLOW (yes, Cliff - not the other...) - with occasional bouts of Tree Swallow fly-overs at times, & a few (well, at least 3) Barn Swallows, 60+++ GRAY CATBIRDS.

11 WARBLER species including a slightly late HOODED (not adult male) at Ft. Tilden, briefly in great view & then hanging in near the rest of the little paruline flock in the wooded area. (The other warblers included 1 Tennessee, 2 Nashville, 5 Black-throated Green, 4 Northern Parula, 1 Magnolia, 1 American Redstart, 2 Black-and-white, & 75+ Palm (with 40+ of the latter swarming the dune scrub at Breezy Pt.), and very conservatively, 2,500 Mytle/Yellow-rumped Warblers, with occasionally 100+ of the latter in view at once in the early hours, and 40+ Common Yellowthroats. The totals reflect almost 9 hours & about 8 miles of walking, at the Rockaways as well as Jamaica Bay Refuge - over 75% tallied at the Rockaways).

Also, a few (3 or 4) INDIGO BUNTINGS (including one male with much blue lingering). Some other migants included: single Red-breasted Nuthatch, 1 Red-eyed Vireo & 2 or 3 Blue-headed Vireos, & a very few thrushes including a Gray-cheeked or the other species, plus Swainson's (2) & Hermit (1) Thrushes... Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Eastern Phoebes and especially Northern [Yellow-shafted] Flickers were rather common with 30+ of the former 2 spp., & 150+ of the latter seen. The sea seemed rather empty of all but Double-crested Cormorants and gulls of 4 species (Laughing: 50+, Ring-billed, Herring, Great Black- backed), plus a distant loon (Common Loon, I thought) - I did not dedicate more than brief scans seaward after 2 bouts of 5-6 minutes turned up no more. I noted no other larids. Shorebirds also looked to be minimal at the Rockaways & also at Jamaica Bay... even Sanderling was not common on my Breezy jaunt.
  -  -  -
Jamaica Bay Refuge, on the high tide cycle (well, a wee bit past peak), had good waterfowl diversity but very low shorebird numbers. I didn't really bird the "gardens" there or the full W. Pond loop much past bench 14. My waterfowl tally there was 18 species with about 40 SNOW GEESE including a single "Blue" Goose at the W. Pond, plus 2 drake RING-NECKED DUCKS out in the central W. Pond, & 80+++ Greater Scaup (didn't note any Lesser) with a Hooded Merganser & a few Bufflehead in the mix, along with more numerous pond & puddle ducks such as N. Pintails, American Wigeons, N. Shovelers, Blue-winged & Green-winged Teals, WOOD DUCKS (at least 5 on the E. Pond's SW cove & at least 3 in "Big John's" Pond... also the infamous Black Swan of unknown origins but not a wild bird (feral, perhaps?) has stayed on & on, @ East Pond as before. Other J. Bay birds included YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS (several), 10 or more LITTLE BLUE HERONS (only 1 adult), 120+ Snowy Egrets, 45+ Great Egrets, many Great Blue Herons & some Black-crowned Night-Herons... NO tri-colored heron seen by me, & also no ibis of any sort seen. A CLAPPER RAIL revealed itself in the S. marsh off the W. Pond trail.

My shorebird sightings at the Refuge were meager. The EAST Pond of Jamaica Bay Refuge now has HIGH water & high waterproof BOOTS will likely be desired (by those actually wanting to wade along the edges). One exception would be the viewing access from the Big John's Pond trail to the East Pond, & looking mainly at the "raunt" area there - at ~1 p.m. that area did have 8 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS roosting on the exposed old wood, along with greater numbers (30+) of Greater Yellowlegs nearby. ~10 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS were in scattered spots including a couple on the W. Pond's shores. Other shorebirds included a scattering of Least Sandpipers, a single juv. STILT SANDPIPER in with some Gr. Yellowlegs at the E. Pond's NW corner area, plus a few flocks (small flocks!) of peep (possibly Semi-palm. by call notes) on the wing at both sides of the "street". My not so grand total for shorebirds on the day was 8 species, however I did NOT go down the East Pond's northern edges (with such high water) to look at what may have been along there. From what I could make out looking thru the hundreds of roosting waterfowl, gulls, and cormorants there didn't appear to be a whole lot more down the shore at the spits... now a muddy wet walk to get there, anyhow.

The full (days) list - in
Queens & Kings Co's.
Thursday, 8 Oct. '09 -

Common Loon (1, well off Tilden)
Pied-billed Grebe (several, J. Bay)
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron (10+, J. Bay)
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (J. Bay)

Snow Goose (40, J. Bay, W. Pond)
Canada Goose
Brant
Mute Swan
Wood Duck (J. Bay)
Gadwall
American Wigeon
American Black Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal (J. Bay)
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck (2 drakes, W. Pond/J.Bay)
Greater Scaup
Bufflehead (few)
Hooded Merganser (1 drake, J. Bay)
Ruddy Duck (J. Bay)

Osprey (1, going SW)
Northern Harrier (1)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (12+)
Cooper's Hawk (2+)
American Kestrel (8+)
Merlin (6+)
Peregrine Falcon (1)
Clapper Rail (J. Bay, S. marsh)

Killdeer
American Oystercatcher
Greater Yellowlegs
Sanderling
Semipalmated Sandpiper (possible fly-overs)
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper (8, J. Bay E. Pond- raunt)
Stilt Sandpiper (1, J. Bay E. Pond- nw corner)

Long-billed Dowitcher
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1, Ft. Tilden)
Hummingbird (presumed/apparent Ruby-throated)
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Northern [Yellow-shafted] Flicker
Eastern Phoebe (many)
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo (1)
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow (1, Breezy Pt.)
Black-capped Chickadee (Ft. Tilden- woods)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1, "     "  ...)
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1, Ft. Tilden - late)
Gray-cheeked Thrush (or poss. Bicknell's)
Swainson's Thrush (2)
Hermit Thrush (1)
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
American Pipit (Breezy Point)
Cedar Waxwing (90+ fly-bys, a.m.)

Tennessee Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler (UBIQUITOUS)
Black-throated Green Warbler (5)
Palm Warbler (MANY)
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat (many)
HOODED Warbler (1, Ft. Tilden woods)

Scarlet Tanager (2)
Eastern Towhee (many)

Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow (1)
Savannah Sparrow
Nelson's (ex-Sharp-tailed) Sparrow (1, Neponsit at Riis Park)
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1)
Indigo Bunting (3 or 4)
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird (6, Breezy Point)
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Butterflies included Checkered White (Ft. Tilden), Cabbage White, Orange Sulphur, Question Mark, Red Admiral, American Lady, Common Buckeye, & about 120 Monarchs mainly at Breezy Point & almost all visiting Seaside Goldenrod just coming into peak bloom. Dragonflies included Common Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Wandering Glider and Meadowhawk species.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan
_________