To: "'NYSBIRDS'" <NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:08 PM
Subject: [nysbirds-l] New Baltimore - Swainsons Hawk ? Are you Serious?

So why is this bird considered a Swainson's Hawk and not a more melanistic
Red-tailed Hawk? I've seen Red-tailed Hawks way darker to totally white.
I've looked at the photos of this bird posted on line and I just don't see
it. The Red-tailed Hawk is the most variable hawk in North America. I've had
birds look just about like this that I've seen raised from a nest of two
Red-tailed Hawks on numerous occasions in both NY and PA. It seems to me
that if this was a Swainson's Hawk moving through it would not be here in
the same place for so long. Can anyone give a rational explanation for this
being identified as a Swainson's Hawk. Thanks in advance!!!

Jeff Holbrook
Corning, NY