Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:17:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Gyrfalcon at Jones beach
From: oceanwander...@gmail.com
To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu

A number of people have chimed in with enthusiastic endorsements of the ID as a
Gyr (and they may well be right) but I am still puzzled by the fact that many
of the actual observers at the weekend were willing to accept it as a large
(tundrius) Peregrine, albeit with some hesitancy. Otherwise, why weren't there
any headline postings from that day?

Is it because the overall jizz did not quite fit with people's
expectations/experience? This worries me. To be fair, a bird can sometimes be
too close or in an unfamiliar context and this confounds an otherwise
straightforward ID. A good example of this is when one is confronted with a
dead bird. Sometimes familiar species can be baffling at first, especially for
people not used to looking at specimens. Coming back to the bird in question,
is it a case that the bird was initially called a Peregrine and nobody felt
entirely comfortable in challenging that initial ID without further study?
Having a pile of photos is great - the flight shots are really spectacular -
but it is important not to ignore the impressions of people who saw the bird in
life.

I'm still hoping to see photos of the landed bird (ideally in a tree with the
body held in a typical upright fashion) so that we can better evaluate the wing
to tail proportions. I have seen a few shots of the bird on the ground standing
over the Herring Gull carcass but as I recall, the tail tip was obscured. Maybe
there are more suitable images out there?

Anyway, lets not close the case files right awat. I personally don't think it
is a simple slam dunk and working through the ID carefully will undoubtedly be
a valuable learning opportunity for all of us.

Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/