Jerry Liguori's insightful analysis was just what I hoping for and I'm sure
we all learned from it. The increasing availability of photos has also
helped to flesh out the identification and address (to the extent possible)
my initial concerns about ruling out a Gyr x ? hybrid, which I figured might
be causing the initial mixed conclusions by some very sharp observers. I
found John Gluth's shots (posted late last night on his flickr site)
particularly helpful in making up my own mind.

Please remember that Gyrfalcon  _IS_ a statewide NYSARC review species (not
so subtle hint there) and let's hope the bird can be re-found soon so that
others may enjoy it and get to apply their new knowledge.

A lot of people across the state and well beyond have contributed to the
excellent discussion and we are indebted to Hugh McGuinness for throwing the
first pitch, so to speak.

Cheers, Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/