Hello, Birders.

Earlier today, Thursday, Oct. 29th, I visited Jones Beach, Nassau County, that
labyrinthine and byzantine complex of barricades, entrance gates, and
mindlessly vast parking lots.

First, I went to Field 6, where a very large flock of shorebirds was strewn out
along the beach just above the high tide line. I think I got reasonably
accurate counts of 400 Black-bellied Plovers, 360 Red Knots, and 8,250 Dunlins.
(And a few Sanderlings and Killdeer.) Birds apparently on diurnal migration
included 290 westbound Double-crested Cormorants and 4 westbound American
Pipits. One of the knots was a red bird in basic plumage (with "breeding
aspect"); see Birding, May 2009, p. 49, for perspective on shorebirds in basic
plumage with breeding aspects.

Second, I went to the U.S. Coast Guard station, where there was another nice
pod of shorebirds, among them 475 Black-bellied Plovers, 1 American
Golden-Plover, 7 Semipalmated Plovers, 2 Killdeer, 31 American Oystercatchers,
2 Greater Yellowlegs, 14 Sanderlings, and "only" 1,700 Dunlin.

There was a pretty steady passage of westbound Double-crested Cormorants while
I was at the coast guard station, and a decent smattering of Brant. Other
waterbirds at the coast guard station included 1 Long-tailed Duck, 2 Common
Loons, 4 Great Egrets, 1 Laughing Gull, and 2 Royal Terns.

The landbird scene was pretty lame, although a neat sight was a tight flock of
6 noisy Red-breasted Nuthatches working a broadleaf tree. I heard and saw about
210 hirundinids, all of them straightforward Tree Swallows as far as I could
tell. Otherwise, it was slim pickin's, with seasonal stuff like Merlin,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (a bit tardy), Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, and Savannah
Sparrow. Among the many Yellow-rumped Warblers was one that, were it 1,800
miles west of here, I might well have called a Myrtle x Audubon's intergrade.
There's no chance, I realize, that any of y'all will run out to see a
Yellow-rumped Warbler that might possibly be harboring a few -auduboni- genes,
but--what the heck?--it was last seen at 40.588282 N, 73.556390 W. Keeping
company with a large number of normal Myrtles, heading west...

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Association: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Check out the American Birding Association on FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22934255714

Check out the American Birding Association on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/abaoutreach

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association:
http://www.aba.org