Hi all,

After several reports of the Western Grebe early this morning, I began
receiving reports of a Horned Grebe, but no Western Grebe. My wife and I
stopped by the Pier this afternoon (about 1-2 PM) and indeed all that we
could find was the Horned Grebe. The HOGR remained tucked most of the time
we were there and, with only a casual inspection, could easily be mistaken
for a Western. (The HOGR is much smaller, the size of the Ruddies, and the
black on the back of the neck is much narrower than on the WEGR). The HOGR
was with what appeared to be the same raft of Ruddies and in the same
location as the initial sightings of the Western. If anyone has photos
confirming the Western from this morning, please post them or let me know.
We now have the proper people willing help the bird, but we need to confirm
that the Western is still in the area before sending anyone out. Thanks.

By the way, Horned Grebe is very unusual for Piermont Pier and photos will
be posted later.

Alan Wells