A few interesting birds on a warm November day included a red-necked
grebe scoped on Great South Bay from the fishing pier at Captree State
Park, Suffolk County, and a very late yellow warbler, also at
Captree.  The warbler was in the brush on the north edge of the
parking lot where an asphalt path leads to the middle of the fishing
pier. "Bull's Birds of New York State" (1998) lists the extreme fall
date for yellow warbler as 24 Oct, though I think there are some more
recent late records in NY State and there are records into December
and January in other northeastern states.  The bird was bright yellow
below with a faint diffuse orange on the breast, and bright greenish-
yellow above including the crown.  According to "Peterson's Field
Guides - Warblers", by Dunn and Garrett, birds at this late date would
be D. p. amnicola, or another of the northerly breeding sub-species,
though this bird seemed very brightly colored, more like the
coloration described for the locally breeding subspecies, D.p. aestiva.

Waterfowling in Suffolk was slow.  A female common goldeneye was at
Connetquot River State Park.  It took an Internet search for me to
identify a male cape shelduck, which was at Belmont Lake State Park.

Seth Ausubel
Forest Hills, NY