Endangered & Protected Bird species, Birding, & Hunting Season (opens) in NY state.

Also, in case it's been forgotten, the original post on this subject mentioned that the loon carcass found at "Tobay Beach" was "apparently dead from a recent bullet wound to the chest". It is illegal to shoot Common Loons on or over all U.S. waters or lands. This may have been an unfortunate accident of hunting, but does bring up that issue as well.

I happen to have concerns about another group of birds that ARE legally hunted: grouse. In my opinion many grouse should be fully protected with no hunting season of any kind in many locations - many grouse and particularly the 2 grouse species found in New York state do not seem to be as common as they once were - at least, in NY's southeast counties in the case of Ruffed Grouse, and never-common-in- NY Spruce Grouse. There is always a potential problem in having bird hunting in the same Adirondack areas for Ruffed Grouse, with not all hunters instantly distinguishing the protected Spruce Grouse from (much more common) Ruffed.

This also brings up an obvious caution to all of us outdoor folks at this time of year. Be aware that the fall-winter hunting season is already here - or soon will be - throughout much of this (& other) state(s). See: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html & for Long Island (Suffolk County): http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8373.html & also: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40399.html

Ruffed Grouse Hunting Season [NY/ map]:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/29457.html

Ruffed Grouse Hunting Information [page]:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/48393.html

NY State ENDANGERED Spruce Grouse:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7078.html

NYDEC state reg's./endangered species:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/3932.html

NYDEC Loon migration - & tracking info.:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7498.html

Reasons NOT to release fauna & flora:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/53542.html

safe - responsible - educational birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan
<<<