  From: Angus Wilson
  To: NYSBIRDS-L
  Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Fw: Southampton Black Guillemot Photo

  Shai Mitra is absolutely right in drawing our attention to the extent of the
white on the upperparts and head of the Peconic Bay Black Guillemot. I've only
seen the one photo by Luke Ormond and hope there are some more.

  Even allowing for bright lighting (sunlight and snow glare) it would appear
that this bird lacks the typical dark mottling on the crown, nape and upper
wing coverts of an adult or first-winter. Pigeon Guillemot (the Pacific
counterpart of the Black Guillemot) is safely ruled out by the lack of a dark
wedge in the white scapular patch).

  As Shai mentioned, birds from the eastern Canadian Arctic, NW Greenland and
across to Spitzbergen (_ultimus/mandtii_) are much whiter than the more
southerly population (_arcticus_) that breeds in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and
Canadian Maritimes and winters down the coast to New England and Long Island
(occasionally).

  Birds from the eastern Canadian Arctic have shorter bills relative to wing
length than those from further south. It gets a bit confusing when you consider
birds from the British Isles (sometimes included with _arcticus_), which tend
to be shorter billed, but I agree the COMBINATION of snowy white plumage and
short bill is strongly suggestive of _ultimus/mandtii. Good profile shots may
allow us to assess bill length further by comparing various ratios.

  While some recent authorities (e.g. Gaston & Jones 1998) consider these
populations relatively distinct and non-clinal, New York's eminent authority
John Bull was rather dismissive of the taxonomic divisions (see Birds of the
New York Area 1964). In Bull's defense, it may be that the differences between
_arcticus_ and the various European populations had not been teased out at this
time. Bull (1976) mentions only two extant specimens (3 Jan 1918, Orient,
Suffolk Co., collected by Roy Latham, NYSM speciment 25005 and 27 Nov 1949,
Quogue, Suffolk Co., collected by B. Frederico, AMNH specimen 348699), both of
which he declined to assign to a particular subspecies. Have additional
specimen have been gathered in the interim? Regardless, most sight records in
New York waters evidently refer to relatively dark southern birds, likely
_arcticus_.

  Given the exciting possibility that this bird is from a different population
(quite possibly unrecorded in NY State), I would strongly encourage observers
to submit any photos they have to NYSARC for further review.

  --  Angus Wilson
  New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
  http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

08:28:00