I took a quick look at the various photos of the enigmatic 'shoveler' from
Prospect Park in Brooklyn (Kings Co.), first brought to our attention by Rob
Jett <http://citybirder.blogspot.com/2010/01/strange-waterfowl.html>. Links
to additional images provided by Alex Wilson were also very useful.

This is certainly an interesting ID conundrum and with waterfowl you always
have to keep an open mind. So many species are kept in private (as well as
public) collections that unfamiliar escapees are always possible, as are
hybrids that can closely resemble other species. One of the problems with
hybrids is that they can be variable but usually there are enough clues in
the details to piece things together.

With respect to the Prospect Park duck, the chief possibilities have already
been narrowed to Australian Shoveler and Northern Shoveler x Blue-winged
Teal. For the reasons given below, I think the latter is correct.

>From the photos (a poor substitute for seeing the bird in life), the head
sheen looks greenish to my eyes. This would be inconsistent with Australian
Shoveler, which should have a blue-gray gloss. In fresh plumage, the head of
males may actually appear turquoise but this quite quickly fades with wear.
I don't have any literature on the hybrid but web photos (mostly of presumed
rather than known hybrids) show a greenish sheen like the Prospect bird.

The markings on the flanks also seem to be more consistent with the N.
Shoveler x B-W Teal hybrid than an Australian Shoveler, being largely
composed of small, neat, spots. In Australian Shoveler the flanks feathers
terminate in large scallops rather than spots, especially towards the rear
of the flank. The same goes for the markings on the breast, which seem too
light (delicate) for Australian Shoveler. Again this fits the photos of
purported hybrids.

I've always been fascinated by the idea that hybrids between two species of
waterfowl sometimes look quite similar to a third species. It suggests that
the genetic basis of decorative (ornamental) plumage in male waterfowl is
relative simple meaning that only a few genes govern the general appearance
(2+2 = 4, 3+1 = 4)? I'm sure there are others on the list who can comment
more knowledgeably on this.

--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA