> I'm curious how many Western grebes are actually in the area. Aside from the
> one off Coney Island on the 18th of January, there have been reports in each
> of the last 3 weeks from Deal, Elberon, and Long Branch NJ and before that
> one was present from late November through most of December off South Amboy
> (for the 5th year in a row. Do we have one Western GrebeĀ  with a severe case
> of wanderlust or are there multiple?
>
> Regards,
> Shane B.
> Brooklyn NY

Good question. I've had this same conversation last winter with Scott
Barnes, who keeps close tabs on the northern NJ scene. From the
pattern of sightings, he seemed quite confident that the South Amboy
and Long Branch/Deal birds were most likely NOT the same. I've always
assumed that the South Amboy and Staten Island (Lemon Creek Pier,
Wolfe's Pond Park) sightings (4-5 miles apart) relate to one returning
bird. I've never seen reports from both sides of the state line on the
same day and suspect that the bird spends periods at each of these
locations. This winters sightings from Coney Island and Riis/Fort
Tilden are harder to evaluate. They are both almost within sight of
the areas frequented by the Staten Island grebe (13-14 miles) and not
so far as the grebe swims from Long Branch etc (16-18 miles). However,
the conditions that keep one grebe returning year after year might
suit other individuals. Keeping tabs on the dates of all these Western
Grebe sightings may shed some light on these intriguing questions.
Same day sightings would be especially valuable. Andy Guthrie and I
observed a Western Grebe off Riis Park on 23 Mar 2003 and I believe
this was after the Staten Island bird has vanished (or at least was no
longer being reported). It's worth reminding everyone that Western
Grebe is a review species in both states and I'm confident that the
NYSARC and NJBRC would appreciate reports and/or photographs.
--
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA