I ventured to Sunken Meadow State Park today since yesterday I dipped on the
arrival of the Ospreys.  Well today I was lucky enough to spot four individuals
along Sunken Meadow Creek.  Also new from yesterday was several dozen Tree
Swallows gliding above the Inner Marsh, 2 Turkey Vulture flyovers, a Great
Egret wading in the tidal flats, 2 Brown Creeper, 6 Gray Catbirds, 2 Brown
thrashers, and 4 Swamp sparrows.

Birds that were not new but of interest was a total of 17 Wood ducks in the
backwater of Sunken Meadow Creek, a pair of Green-winged Teal(A. crecca
carolinensis), 2 adult Black-crowned Night-Herons, 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers,
5 Fish Crows, and 4 Eastern Towhee.  Also on my four hour (8:00am-12:00pm) hike
today, I heard several Spring Peepers vocalizing in a few of the vernal ponds
that I passed, as well as a muskrat swimming in the backwater of the creek and
dozens of Painted turtles sunning themselves at the edges of the phragmites.

Vinny Pellegrino
www.flickr.com/pellegrinov
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau