I spent nearly 3 hours birding a couple local (Islip/East Islip) patches
this morning in hope that the prime weather conditions for migration
overnight would bring some of the species seen in the city parks
yesterday out my way.

A lack of migrant song wafting through an opened window this morning at
6:30 didn't bode well. There had been several Yellow-rumps, a N. Parula,
and a Baltimore Oriole in my yard on Friday - how could there be nothing
this morning? But my hopes rebounded some during my visit to Seatuck
Environmental Center (Islip), where FOY BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER and
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT were joined by Yellow, B&W, and Yellow-rumped warblers.
These were all in close proximity to the nature center building. Tree
Swallows occupied most of the houses studding the marshes to the south.
Also there were 1 Greater Yellowlegs and 2 Snowy Egrets.

Just 1.5 miles to the east at South Shore Nature Center, passerine action
was even more pronounced. By the time I left at 10:15 I'd encountered a
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, 2-3 NASHVILLE WARBLERS, and a male SCARLET TANAGER,
all FOY for me. Also present were 1 House Wren, 1 Blue-headed Vireo,
1 N. Parula, 1 BTG Warbler, 2 Yellow Warblers on territory, 2 Pine Warblers,
2 B&W Warblers and a few Yellow-rumps. Barn Swallows swirled overhead.
Other notables included a Swamp Sparrow and Catbirds in good numbers.