Spring has arrived to the mid-hudson valley! a number of migrants arrived in Dutchess last Friday.between friday and this morning, i made several stops in the millbrook area (i noted locations for people who live locally) to find the following species having arrived (not in taxa. order):

pied-billed grebe-bontecou pond
wood duck
spotted sandpiper-bontecou pond
solitary sandpiper-bontecou pond
osprey-bontecou pond
kestrel-andrew haight rd
belted kingfisher
eastern kingbird
baltimore orlole
orchard oriole-bontecou pond
bobolink-n.mabbitsville rd
meadowlark-n.mabbitsville rd
warbling vireo
yellow-throated vireo
black and white warbler
yellow warbler
co. yellowthroat
blue-winged warbler
house wren
barn swallow
wood thrush
scarlet tanager
brown thrashers-andrew haight rd
rose-breasted grosbeak-andrew haight rd
eastern towhee
swamp sparrow
white-crowned sparrow-andrew haight
field sparrow
savannah sparrow

house wren,r-b grosbeak,s.tanager,brown thrasher, bobolink arrived on territory in millbrook for the year within the last day. interestingly, i have not found great crested flycatcher in my local travels. it is usually one of the earlier migrant species. our eastern bluebirds are already feeding young!

on april 24th in millbrook, there was an adult bald eagle and 6 rusty blackbirds at bontecou pond.

good birding,

John Askildsen
Millbrook, New York
John Askildsen