Wednesday, 5 May 2010 -

Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

A list of species seen in the Ramble was posted to the ebirdsnyc list for Wed. by Chris Cooper: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/message/7680 - which very much reflected the relative abundances several of us also found in the north woods areas, with (singling-out a particular migrant) Blackburnian Warbler nicely represented in both areas of the park, as well as the other species - and while the diversity was fairly good (I thought) overall numbers had slacked off somewhat, from the weekend and the prior 2 weekday sightings. The sparrow tribe was still well represented, if not for high numbers but decent diversity, with 10 species including E. Towhee & Slate-colored Junco, the latter a bit tardy now for this location. We also added Prairie Warbler as well as Yellow-throated Vireo to the day list, seen in the northern end by several of us there.
 -
At Riverside Park, the "drip" area produced almost a dozen warbler species for end-of-day observers, with Jeff Nulle & Richard Fried keeping watch, followed by Karen Fung & I thru nearly sunset. At that late hour a few birds were still coming down, including a bright male Indigo Bunting. It was good to get close views of a Northern and a Louisiana Waterthrush, almost simultaneously in the "drip", for comparisons of plumage, structure, and behavior. To remind all, this specific area is often best in sunny warmer weather, particularly following a few days or more of dry weather, and of course when the migration is at a peak. It can be active at any hour, although some regulars favor later-in-the-day. This area is nearest Riverside Drive & approximately 118 Street at the lower level of the park just south of the 'uptown' tennis courts. It is a safe place to visit in the daylight.
-    -    -    -
Thursday, 6 May 2010 -

Central Park was much less active than the previous day (or prior recent days), at least in the north end. Nonetheless, a Yellow- throated Warbler, possibly of the form albilora (but I did NOT get fully confirming views) was in the canopy at the south side of The Pool, a bit past 9 a.m. & (I now am aware) had been seen at least a little earlier as well by Andy Gershon (& reported by him to the Metro Birding Briefs list, for rare birds) - and later on [as far as I'm aware], no further sightings were made, despite a fair number of birders looking. There were still a number of people looking in that area to about sunset. Incidentally I never heard the warbler sing at all.

A Common Nighthawk was flying around the Meer (near 110 Street) after dawn but before the sun was up, and in a very modest patch of migrant activity on the Great Hill's SE slope, I found a Cape May Warbler, but in less than great views with the clouds moving in, the bird very high in an oak canopy. In general it seemed a great many migrants had taken off overnight, with little influx to this part of the park. The 3 other birders I ran into said much the same of the early morning & others who birded the Ramble in the morning mentioned it seeming less active than the previous several days had been. Despite that, a fair variety of mostly typical migrants were found in the Ramble area, as elsewhere. A Solitary Sandpiper has continued at the Loch, an uncommon location for it in this park. And although not too uncommon for Central Park, a well-heard Fish Crow today.
 -
A relatively brief visit to Riverside Park's "drip" found fewer species there than Wed., although it once again provides great looks at times.
 -
Incidentally in Staten Island a Prothonotary Warbler continues to be seen at Willowbrook Park having been reported today & 1 week ago. This was in addition to a Prothonotary Warbler that was reported from Clove Lakes Park, in the same general region of that [NYC] county, with many sightings of Staten Island birds being reported available (archived) at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SINaturaList/messages

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan