This evening, Arlene Borko and I conducted our first of three surveys for the
"Bird Studies of Canada" Marsh Bird Monitoring Surveys.   When we reached our
third site, Arlene began the clock and I started calling off birds.  As I
panned to my left, I was amazed to see a SANDHILL CRANE standing in the marsh.
 The bird was in the process of preening and bedding down for the night.  We
had great looks!  I was able to reach Scott and Paula Baldinger, and they were
able to arrive and see the bird before it settled down and tucked its head for
the night.  It is even more amazing that the bird would count for the survey.
It was a rather quiet evening, with many regular species present, but only
three American Bittern and three Common Moorhen showing for the survey.  Great
birding!! John Haas