After a few unsuccessful trips, I was able to see a pair of MISSISSIPPI KITES
today on Mapletown Road in the Town of Root, Montgomery County.  I arrived
around 11:15AM and searched the area where the bird had been reported and, at
12:25PM, found a female kite perched in a dead tree across from mailbox #950.
At one point, I watched her dive from the tree and come back with what looked
to be a grasshopper and eat it from the perch. She then flew to two other
nearby trees before returning back to the tree I first observed her in.  About
1:00PM, she started calling from the perch and then a male kite appeared and
landed on her back -- possible copulation!  As I got my camera ready, the male
flew from the female and fortunately landed on a limb above her, allowing me to
get a single photo of the two birds before they both flew off.  Five minutes
later at 1:05PM, I saw a single kite fly over Mapletown Road heading south.
Later in the day at 4:00PM, the male kite returned and I and a few other
birders watched him for a bit. He (and the birders) left shortly after, but he
soon reappeared and I watched him fly around and perch in several trees in the
same area before heading south across the road about 20-25 minutes later.

My photos of the two birds are at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjaycox/sets/72157624144212647/

There are multiple pictures of the male and female at separate times and a
single photo of the pair together. The photos are in reverse chronological
order.

Jesse Jaycox
Delmar, NY