Bob Kurtz and I birded the East Pond (at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge) this
morning; first the north end, then the south end up to the Raunt.
We tallied an excellent 22 species of shorebirds on the pond. The Short-billed
Dowitchers on the Pond are now probably comprised of over 30% juveniles, and
Least Sandpipers are at around 90% juveniles (we only saw 4 or 5 adults the
entire time). Also there were more Semipalmated Plovers than either of us ever
remember seeing there, and the number of Black-bellied Plovers is pretty good
for the date.

Highlights:
Red-necked Phalarope- 1 (Juvenile, first at the NW corner, then went to The
Cove (where it remained))
Wilson's Phalarope- 3 (2 juveniles and 1 of undetermined age, North End)
Hudsonian Godwit- 1 (Mostly North End)
Marbled Godwit- 1(East side about half way up the Pond)
Semipalmated Plover- 1,060
Black-bellied Plover- 177
Killdeer- 2
Short-billed Dowitcher- 2800 (A substantial percentage is now juveniles)
Long-billed Dowitcher- 2 (Adults @ Raunt)
Semipalmated Sandpiper- 1800
Least Sandpiper- 90 (85 juveniles)
White-rumped Sandpiper- 5
Western Sandpiper- 1
Pectoral Sandpiper- 1
Lesser Yellowlegs- 195 (Lots of juveniles)
Greater Yellowlegs- 9 (no juveniles)
Ruddy Turnstone- 22 (Including 1 juvenile, overall a large number for the East
Pond).
Red Knot- 2 (adults)
Willet (Eastern)- 3 (2 juveniles, 1 adult)
Stilt Sandpiper- ~20
Spotted Sandpiper- 3
American Oystercatcher- 15

Black Tern- 2 Juveniles are now hanging around (Raunt)
American White Pelican- 1
Blue-winged Teal- 10 (Here they come!)
Green-winged Teal- 12
Northern Waterthrush- ~18
Osprey- 1 carrying nesting material ... (Huh?)

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY