Following one of the dullest periods of birding in the county that I can
remember, Birding came to life the last week or so.  The Bashakill is alive
with birds following one of the best breeding seasons the marsh birds have had
in years.  As many as sixteen Common Moorhens, including ten grown chicks can
be viewed on Haven Road in the morning.  This is just one location, and many of
these birds breed throughout the Bash.  A Pied-billed Grebe can be seen feeding
near the bridge with a Belted Kingfisher keeping it company feeding on
thousands of fish fingerlings.  This morning the pair of Virginia Rails which
have been seen there regularly brought out four half grown chicks which I
actually got to photograph.  Just the other day, a Peregrine Falcon was
attacking the hords of swallows gathered on the power lines.  Scott Baldinger,
Arlene Borko, Lance Verderame and I birded Morningside Park this evening, a
breeding plumaged Black-bellied Plover was a highlight.  Here is a list of
birds from the Apollo Plaza and Morningside the last several days.  Most were
present today.

Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Black-bellied Plover - 1
Killdeer - 30+
Semi-palmated Plover - 3
Least Sandpiper -25+
Semi-palmated Sandpiper - 5
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
Solitary Sandpiper - 3
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2
Baird's Sandpiper - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 7

Nice to have some bird activity!  John Haas