Today Heydi Lopes, Keir Randall and I spent several hours birding
Prospect Park. While there weren't any rarities to unusual species to
report, the diversity and abundance of migrant songbirds was pretty
impressive for the last weekend of August. Beginning at the North end
of the park at 6:30am and winding our way through all the wooded areas
(and a bit of the meadows) we tallied 15 species of warbler. The most
abundant species was easily American Redstart with Magnolia Warbler
coming in a close second. There were also quite a few Black-throated
Blue Warblers and Canada Warblers. Two warbler highlights were a
Blackburnian Warbler near the Butterfly Meadow which was still in
breeding plumage and a Cape May Warbler at the top of the Maryland
Monument stairway (which was not). Flycatcher numbers seemed to have
increased with several empidonax species seen but, unfortunately, not
heard. Baltimore Orioles were also seen in good numbers, mainly
competing with American Robins for fruit in the park's many Black
Cherry trees. The latter of which, by the way, seem suddenly to be as
numerous at starlings. One somewhat surprising observation was of
fairly large numbers of Veeries. An estimate of 24 individuals was
likely very conservative.

Good birding,

Rob

"Just like the Sprague's Pipit sings a song, sounds like she's singing
ching-a-ring-a-ring-a-ring-a-ring-a-ring-a" - Steven S. Nicholas

**********

Location: Prospect Park
Observation date: 8/28/10
Number of species: 58

Wood Duck (6.)
Green Heron (3.)
Red-tailed Hawk (3.)
Spotted Sandpiper (1.)
Forster's Tern (1.)
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (3.)
Belted Kingfisher (1.)
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee (1.)
Willow Flycatcher (1.)
Empidonax sp. (4.)
Great Crested Flycatcher (2.)
Eastern Kingbird (2.)
Warbling Vireo (3.)
Red-eyed Vireo (10.)
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
White-breasted Nuthatch (2.)
Carolina Wren (4.)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (2.)
Veery (24.)
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird

Blue-winged Warbler (1.)
Northern Parula (5.)
Yellow Warbler (5.)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (3.)
Magnolia Warbler (15.)
Cape May Warbler (1.)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (12.)
Blackburnian Warbler (1.)
Prairie Warbler (1.)
Black-and-white Warbler (8.)
American Redstart (20.)
Ovenbird (6.)
Northern Waterthrush (4.)
Common Yellowthroat (6.)
Canada Warbler (12.)

Song Sparrow (1.)
Common Grackle
Baltimore Oriole (12.)

Other common species seen (or heard):
Canada Goose, Mute Swan, Mallard, Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Red-
bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker (2.), Hairy Woodpecker (3.), Blue
Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, American Robin, European
Starling, Northern Cardinal, House Finch, American Goldfinch, House
Sparrow