This morning I found 2 Baird’s Sandpipers on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay. The
birds were in a mixed flock of White-rumped, Semipalmated, and Least Sandpipers
on the east (far) side of the pond, just north of the raunt.

The Baird’s were about the same size as the White-rumps, and browner than
either
the Semis or White-rumps. Wings were long, projecting beyond the tail. The most
striking feature of the two was the fairly sharp demarcation between the
buffy-brown breast and the white underparts.

Photos (record shots- not very good) are at www.birdersflightlog.blogspot.com.

Shorebird numbers were fairly low- the entire north end is flooded, but the
south end is not, and all of my shorebird sightings were there. Stilt
Sandpipers, Dowitchers, a Semipalmated Plover, and both Yellowlegs, as well as
the 4 peeps already mentioned were the only shorebirds I saw.

Also interesting were 7 warblers (Magnolia, Redstart, Yellow, Yellowthroat,
Black-and-White, Ovenbird, Nothern Waterthrush), a few shovelers and many
Blue-winged Teal, and Great-crested and Least Flycatchers by Big John’s Pond.

Eamon Corbett
Pelham