There continues to be lots of shorebirds at Montezuma.  The Knox-Marcellus
Marsh is a very impressive show, especially for an inland location.  Also,
the pool next to the Refuge headquarters has prime habitat for shorebirds as
well.  Saturday, the latter pool held mostly just yellowlegs (a few Greater
and many Lesser) with a few Least and 1 White-rumped Sandpipers and some
Semi. Plovers.  The birds are much closer at this pool than Knox-Marcellus
and something special could certainly show up there.

Here is the list of shorebirds reported at Knox-Marcellus (we missed the
Black-bellied Plovers and Buff-breasted Sandpipers, which may not have been
seen after mid-afternoon):
Black-bellied Plover
American Golden-Plover - 1 (found late in the day from East Road)
Semipalmated Plover - many
Killdeer - a few
Greater Yellowlegs - a few
Lesser Yellowlegs - abundant
Solitary Sandpiper - I heard of no reports but I suspect one or more were
seen
Spotted Sandpiper - ditto
Semipalmated Sandpiper - many
Least Sandpiper - many
White-rumped Sandpiper - a few to several
Baird's Sandpiper - just a couple
Pectoral Sandpiper - a few
Stilt Sandpiper - a few to several
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER - 2
Dowitchers - several, probably both species
Wilson's Snipe - 2
Wilson's Phalarope - 8 (the observer was cautiously second-guessing himself,
as these birds were not seen later)
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE - 4

Also, from East Road at the end of the day, we had 7 adult SANDHILL CRANES,
five of which were in the northwest corner of Knox-Marcellus.  An immature
PEREGRINE FALCON harassed the shorebirds at the marsh occasionally,
throughout the day.

Good shorebirding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna