I spent about 2 hours at Robert Moses State Park starting at 6:45 AM today,
mostly birding from the hawkwatch platform but also by the volleyball courts
at Field 2.  A significant movement of birds occurred last night, and
countless neotropical migrants were moving through.  The highlight of the
day was certainly a pair of UPLAND SANDPIPERS which flew, calling, over the
platform immmediately upon my arrival.  This is echoed by a sighting of an
Upland Sandpiper today at Floyd Bennett Field by Seth Ausubel et. al.  Soon
afterwards I was joined by Shai Mitra and Pat Lindsay.  Some of the birds
seen included at least 11 species of warbler, Purple Finch, 2 Chimney
Swifts, Scarlet Tanagers, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, several Bobolinks, Eastern Wood-pewee, and various other expected
species.  Several tail-less Red-winged Blackbirds were surprising.  On my
way back to the car I heard a WHIMBREL which eventually landed in the grassy
area in the Field 5 parking lot next to an AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER found
earlier by Shai and Pat.  A awful picture of the two birds together can be
found at http://picasaweb.google.com/bbomkamp/BarrierBeachBirds

At the volleyball courts many warblers were still moving overhead, mostly
waterthrushes.  A relatively cooperative adult YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER was
present near the exit to Field 2.  The only other new species in the area
was an uncooperative empid which appeared to be a Least Flycatcher, and
there were a few more Red-breasted Nuthatches.  I finished up at Sunken
Meadow, where, as reported by Dave Klauber, neither of the previously
reported rarities was seen.

Good Birding,
Brent Bomkamp
Northport, NY