Apologies for the duplicate message; I simply forgotten to add my name
and NY location)
______________________
Friday, 17 September, 2010 - Brooklyn / Kings Co. & Queens Co . N.Y.
City

At Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, N.Y. City, the four juvenile-
plumaged Buff-breasted Sandpipers continued as of about 8:45 - 9:45
a.m. in the weedy (not recently mowed) and uneven field across from
and immediately northeast of the parking area by the F.B. Field
'aviator' building and adjacent to where the western vehicle entry /
traffic signal is from Flatbush Avenue-Marine Parkway - this is not
the standard old entry point but the newer one with black cyclone
fencing & gated at certain times. The 4 Buff-breasted Sandpipers were
ranging almost all around the weedy field and also were rather
skittish when cars drove close by & at any speed, yet with care, 3 of
us watched and photographed these 4 juvenile-plumaged birds, from as
little as 150-200 feet without interrupting any of their feeding and
roaming in the field. Also present at times (& also moving away at
times) were a flock of 10+ Killdeer. If the directions given are still
unclear, the field we mention is directly down the runway-drive that
passes the F.B. Field "community gardens" and just a 1/4 mile or so to
the north along the same side as the community gardens are. It is the
unmowed area that has 2 modest size trees standing apart and alone
within the "back" part of that same field and is also edged on the
east by a low berm of grassy-weedy covered earth about 6+ feet high,
that runs almost the length of this weedy field on one side only (at
the edge next to the runway).  In addition to looking at the Buff-
breasted Sandpipers with Rob Bate who came by serendipitously as we
were watching, E. Katsnelson & I looked in the Floyd Bennett Field
community gardens and found a young Dickcissel in the northern part
along with the usual gang of House Sparrows. The dickcissel seemed to
retreat with these sparrows into the SW section within these gardens,
this after 10 a.m.  Otherwise F.B. Field seemed a bit "quiet" for
freshly arrived migrants; we also saw 3 N. Harriers and 4 American
Kestrels, hunting in the grassland areas.

At Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Queens Co., N.Y. City, at and after
the day's high tide cycle (~ 4 p.m. until just after sunset) a
juvenile -plumaged Marbled Godwit was found and photographed by us at
the East Pond of the refuge, seen first at nearly sunset from the
trail past "Big John's Pond" looking at the raunt area due east, and
the godwit on the east shore of the pond (not amongst the birds
scattered thru the raunt, but working deliberately south on and along
the shore of the pond) and after about 20 minutes or more of good
scope views, we watched as the godwit took low flight almost skimming
the pond and heading directly to or at least towards the south end of
the East Pond at at least 7:15 p.m. - with moonlight beginning to win
out over daylight... incidentally, the Marbled Godwit was noted in the
refuge log book for Thursday, 16 Sept. as well.  At the Refuge, the
East Pond also held at least 250 additional shorebirds, mostly
yellowlegs with a fair number of Short-billed Dowitchers and far fewer
numbers of Semipalmated Sandpipers.  We did not check the north end of
the East Pond at all - but did look at the West Pond and there added
at least 80 additional shorebirds of the same species mix as at the
East Pond. There were great numbers of Snowy Egrets at the refuge,
with easily 150+ in both west & east pond area, & trees surrounding.
Forster's Terns were noted in very modest numbers at the Refuge, and
some Boat-tailed Grackles were also seen.
Another birder, whose name I ought to know, was able to view the
Marbled Godwit at the last possible moment before it flew to the south
end of the E. Pond, with our nice scope views.

A look at Fort Tilden & Riis Park, on the Rockaway peninsula of Queens
Co. in mid-day hours provided a very modest number of most birds with
the exception of what seemed to be a very nice flight that was just
developing, of American Kestrels, Merlins, Ospreys, N. Harriers and
accipiters including Sharp-shinned and a few Cooper's Hawks.  The
passerine flight, such as it was, was extremely light and yet there
were at least a few such migrants around including a Prairie Warbler &
a few others. The Atlantic was as quiet as could be both close and
distantly, with barely a tern in sight (we did see a few Common Terns
go by), and the beach was relatively free of birds other than a few
surf-chasing Sanderlings and a duo of American Oystercatchers. A few
hummingbirds buzzed thru at the hawk-watch platform at Fort Tilden ,
but it might be noted that by far, the  most numerous long-distance
migrants seen (in the many hundreds, indeed thousands - if calculated
per 1 day rather per 1 hour) were the Monarch butterflies streaming SW
down the beach, the surf line, the dune line, and well up over the
whole peninsula.  A few times there would be 50+ in view at once and
their steady SW-bound stream seemed to increase after noon... this is
a natural event equal to many of the greatest such wonders in the
world and there were precious few people there to see it all, in that
location. The only other birds really noted in any multiplicity were
Laughing Gulls, about 100+ seen in the various locations visited.

Good birding!

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan