I had decided earlier this week that I would head out to the east end today
to bird, and that Sagg Pond would be my first destination. A lucky choice,
as Hugh McGuinness and Angus Wilson were already on site when I arrived and
quickly put me on the Caspian Terns and Whimbrel. After they departed I
spotted one more bird of note‹an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull. I next went
to Mecox Bay where the most notable birds were 3 Least Terns‹1 adult and
2 juveniles. When I returned to my car I actually turned my cell phone on
(I carry one mostly for emergencies or a call-worthy rare bird, both seldom
seen occurrences‹thankfully so only in the case of the former). Another
fortuitous decision, as I would have otherwise missed Hugh's thoughtful
voice mail regarding the WEKI. I got over to the SOFO Museum as rapidly as
traffic allowed and once there was guided by Hugh to the fields out back
where the flycatcher pretty quickly made an appearance. I took over 120
digiscoped photos of the bird over the next hour. Six of the 12 I deemed
decent enough to keep can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/sets/72157624860506451/

A male Kestrel was also present at the eastern end of the field.

Later, a few stops along Dune Road west of the Ponquogue Bridge produced a
total of 9 Royal Terns (2 flyovers and 7 roosting), 1 Western Willet, and a
juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron. A quick stop at Gabreskie Airport on
the way home yielded 2 Turkey Vultures soaring over the runways.

John Gluth
Islip, NY