I roamed Sunken Meadow State Park from 8:30am-12:00pm today.  Overall, it was
a good day with lots of activity throughout the park.  The most productive spot
seemed to be the area surrounding Field 2 where loads of Song, Swamp, and
White-throated sparrows as well as Yellow-rumped Warblers were
feeding.  I tallied a total of 8 species of sparrow(not including Dark-eyed
Junco or RS Towhee) just in that vicinity alone.  A Common Loon still in
its breeding plumage was on the LI Sound viewed from the bluff on the golf
course trail.  Brant flew just offshore with two flocks composed of 35 then 26
birds.  Also, a single Baltimore Oriole was feeding with some Purple Finch
along
the park road.  My trip list is below.

Common Loon- 1 on LI Sound
Brant- 2 flocks composed of 35 then 26 birds
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk- 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo- 1 flyby on golf course trail
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flickers- many on the move
Eastern Phoebe- several
Red-breasted Nuthatch- 3
Winter Wren- 2
Golden and Ruby-crowned Kinglets- numerous
Hermit Thrush- 3+
Cedar Waxwing- several flyovers
Blue-headed Vireo- 2
Nashville, Palm, Blackpoll, Black-throated Blue, and Yellow-rumped warblers
Indigo Bunting- 2
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow- 2
Field Sparrow- 2
Savannah Sparrow- 2-3
Song Sparrow- 45++
Lincoln's Sparrow- 1-2
Swamp Sparrow- a conservative count of 26 birds
White-throated Sparrow- 35+
White-crowned Sparrow- 1
Dark-eyed Junco
Baltimore Oriole- 1 bright bird feeding in trees along park road
Purple Finch- several flyovers, 3-5 females feeding in trees along park road

*Pictures from this month including today can be viewed on my picasa site
below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/VinnyPelle/LongIsland2010#

Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you've
imagined."

-Henry David Thoreau