Date: 10-15-10
Place: Jones Beach/Point Pookout
Reported By: Joe Giunta

Sam Jannazzo and I started birding at the Jones Beach Coast Guard Station
and walked to the turnaround and back. Along the way we saw three warbler
species (Yellow-rumps, Pine and Blackpoll) and three sparrow species (Song,
White-crowned and Field). We also saw Merlin, Sharpie, and Cooper's hawks.
Overhead flew about 2000 Tree Swallows make for a nice fall atmosphere.

After Sam left I went to Point Lookout and continued birding. The windy
conditions must have forced all the gulls and shorebirds onto the parking lot.
 There it was very easy to drive up to the birds and get good views. I saw
Black-bellied Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones, Dotwitches, Dunlin, White-rumped
Sandpiper, Red Knot and Semipalmated Sandpiper. As for gulls the three
regulars  but an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull.

I took a walk over to the 'Rock Pile' and the good birding continued. I saw
 Palm warblers, Northern Parula, Indigo Buntings (2) and Field Sparrows
(4). In all I recorded  40 species for the  day.